The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with U
- U.S. Is Urged to Curtail Alarming Dropout Rates Among Minority Men09/2014Articles and PublicationsMandates from the federal government could help colleges deal with "equity gaps" not only for men of color but also for other disadvantaged groups, a report says.
- Update on the Congo03/2014Flex/PD - SpringFeb. 25, 2014. The Friends of the Congo (FOTC) was established in 2004 to work in partnership with Congolese to bring about peaceful and lasting change in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), formerly Zaire.
- Using Badges in the Classroom to Motivate Learning05/2014Articles and PublicationsAs a motivational tool, badges can be added to your college classroom using a fairly streamlined process, and with little or no cost to you at an individual level, or at an institutional level.
- Using Guerrilla Tactics to Improve Teaching02/2014Articles and PublicationsMost of us are aware of the important benefits that cooperative learning offers for student achievement (Johnson, Johnson, & Smith, 2007). We frequently use, or seek out these strategies to further engage our students in the content and enhance the learning environment. However, when it comes to our growth as teachers, we typically don’t employ.
- Using In-class Tutors in Basic Writing Courses - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Susan Griffin. This workshop is meant for faculty from the English Department who will be using tutors in their English Writing 51 classes or are considering using tutors in their courses.
- Using Tablets in the Classroom - Fall 2014 Flex08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Sandra Camarena. Prof. Camarena and other faculty members share information about the ways tablets have helped make for more effective teaching.
- Using the Smartboards in the Davis Center - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Jacek Kozikowski. Several of the classrooms in the Davis Center feature interactive whiteboards ('smartboards'). This workshop will introduce the basics of smartboard use and allow participants a chance to use the features.
- Using “Mulligans” to Enhance Student Participation and Reduce Test Anxiety08/2014Articles and PublicationsAccording to a National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER) report, gamification is “a much newer concept than game-based learning.