The Staff Resource Center offers professional development through a variety of resources. For your convenience, this database provides a compilation of these resources in multiple types.
To access forms and documents not related to Professional Development please visit the SCC Forms & Documents Database.
Items starting with U
- UDL: A Systematic Approach to Supporting Diverse Learners09/2015Articles and PublicationsAdvances in neuroscience and digital imaging give us an unprecedented understanding of how individuals access, process, and respond to information. Previously we may have had an intuitive understanding that our students learned differently. Now functional MRI scans demonstrate this in living color. However, simply recognizing learner diversity is one thing; navigating this challenge in the classroom is quite another.
- Understanding Muslim Students on the College Campus: Deconstructing Perceptions and Stereotypes to Preven Radicalism - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Rashad, Baadqir. This workshop will provide insight into defusing the myths and sterotypes being placed on Muslim students, while creating a vehicle that seeks to better engage in the power of dialogue and cross cultureal understanding.
- Understanding Muslim Students on the College Campus: Deconstructing Perceptions and Stereotypes to Prevent Radicalism01/2016Flex/PD - SpringPresented by Rashad Baadqir, this workshop while focused on examining the myths and stereotypes being placed on Muslim students, will also address the climate of campus wide safety creating a vehicle that seeks to better engage in the power of dialogue and cross cultural understanding.
- Understanding Project-Based Learning in the Online Classroom02/2016Articles and PublicationsIn his wonderful TED talk, Dan Meyer describes how he began one of his math classes by showing students a video of a hose slowly filling a bucket with water. After a while of watching the video, one of the…
- Unionization Pays Off for Community-College Instructors06/2015Articles and PublicationsBeing represented by a union appears to pay big financial dividends for full-time instructors at community colleges, a new study concludes. Depending on the size, location, and public-financing sources of their institution, unionized full-time instructors earn from about 5 to 50 percent more in pay and benefits than do their nonunionized peers at similar community colleges, says a paper summarizing the study’s results.
- Update on the Congo03/2014Flex/PD - SpringFeb. 25, 2014. The Friends of the Congo (FOTC) was established in 2004 to work in partnership with Congolese to bring about peaceful and lasting change in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), formerly Zaire.
- Using CCCConfer for Online Office Hours and Training (Flex Thursday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 15, 2015. This workshop will be a hands-on workshop to introduce the use of CCCConfer for online office hours tutoring.
- Using Google Analytics to Improve your SCC Website (Tech Wednesday)12/2014Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 14, 2015. SCC’s WordPress site makes it easy to get started using Google Analytics to track how many times your pages are viewed, how much use they’re getting on-campus vs. off-campus, where your traffic is coming from, and even what links users are clicking on your pages. This session will show examples of what the library has learned so far and scratch the surface of a complex and versatile tool that can help improve your web presence.
- Using Grading Policies to Promote Learning08/2015Articles and PublicationsI just finished putting together some materials on grading policies for a series of Magna 20-Minute Mentor programs, and I am left with several important take-aways on the powerful role of grading policies. I’m not talking here about the grades themselves, but instead the policies we choose as teachers.
- Using In-class Tutors in Basic Writing Courses - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Susan Griffin. This workshop is meant for faculty from the English Department who will be using tutors in their English Writing 51 classes or are considering using tutors in their courses.
- Using Los Rios Wi-Fi (Tech Wednesday)01/2015Flex/PD - SpringJanuary 14, 2015. Learn how to log in to LRCCD Wi-Fi using a Windows, Android, or Apple device, with troubleshooting.
- Using S.O.A.P. to Clean the Classroom: A Professor's Guide to Managing Marijuana Concerns in the Classroom01/2016Flex/PD - FallParticipants will:?Identify signs of behavior change, Use S.O.A.P. to document behavior changes, Verbalize SCC’s Student Code of Conduct and procedures for dealing with disruptive classroom behavior, Successfully complete a role play, Feel comfortable communicating with a student who might be displaying changes in behavior and understand the process for dealing with it.
- Using Social Media to Engage Today’s Students - Fall 2015 Flex05/2015Flex/PD - FallAugust 20, 2015. Presented by Rick Brewer. This workshop will delve into organizational communications from a newly emerging perspective, that of the "constituency framework" and show how SCC can, as a college, become a more communicative organization - both internally and externally.
- Using Tablets in the Classroom - Fall 2014 Flex08/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Sandra Camarena. Prof. Camarena and other faculty members share information about the ways tablets have helped make for more effective teaching.
- Using the Past to Inform the Present08/2015Articles and PublicationsWhile the book is solid academic research, it builds on that research to create a practical agenda for large-scale institutional change.
- Using the Power of LinkedIn to Help Our Students01/2016Flex/PD - SpringPresented by Pamela Posz. LinkedIn is the largest professional online social network in the world. Learn how to use this powerful tool to strengthen your professional network and learn how to help our students develop their own professional networks using LinkedIn. This session will cover the basics of creating a profile and connecting to others on the website. Please bring an electronic version of a professional photo that you can upload to LinkedIn.
- Using the Smartboards in the Davis Center - Fall 2014 Flex05/2014Flex/PD - FallAugust 21, 2014. Presented by Jacek Kozikowski. Several of the classrooms in the Davis Center feature interactive whiteboards ('smartboards'). This workshop will introduce the basics of smartboard use and allow participants a chance to use the features.