Sacramento City College encourages 11th and 12th grade students (16 years of age or older) to enroll for advanced educational enrichment with the approval of their principal/counselor and parent/guardian. High school students may take up to two classes and grades are posted on official college transcripts.
California residents are exempt from enrollment fees, but not from books and material costs. Fees for non-residents still apply. All students must pay the Universal Transit Pass fee (no more than $15/semester).
High school students enrolled in Advanced Education classes earn college credit and get a jump-start on classes that may apply toward a certificate or degree at Sacramento City College and/or transfer to a four-year college or university.
How To Enroll
In order to successfully enroll in the Advanced Education program, the student must:
- Complete an online application for Sacramento City College, by going to the online application. Within about an hour of submitting the application, a permanent SCC Student ID number will be assigned.
- Print and fill out the Advanced Education Application. Make sure to read, sign and date the Los Rios Advanced Education Policies and Guidelines on the backside of the form.
- Meet with your High School counselor to discuss and determine what classes are appropriate for you to take at SCC. Some classes have a pre-requisite and some may require an assessment test. The tests are given at the SCC Assessment Center on a daily basis. SCC West Sacramento Center also offers assessment tests on a limited schedule. View the assessment testing schedule at the Center.
- Once the Advanced Education form is complete, bring it either to the SCC West Sacramento Center or to the SCC main campus counselor. Counseling at the SCC West Sacramento Center requires an appointment; please call (916) 375-5511 to schedule a time. Students must be present for the appointment; no exceptions. Note that counseling appointments fill up very quickly.
Things To Bring To The Appointment:
|SCC Student ID Number.|
|Advanced Education Application (complete with parent/guardian and high school counselor signatures).|
|Your High School Transcript.|
|Documentation of Age (if not reflected on your transcript).|
|A typed statement explaining how you meet criteria to participate in Advanced Education (no more than a page).|
If the application is approved by the SCC counselor, the staff at the SCC West Sacramento Center or the SCC main campus Admissions and Records office will be able to enroll you in the class, provided the class is open.
IMPORTANT: Advanced Education students enroll in person during Priority 4 and Open Registration periods only. Students are assigned an Enrollment Appointment which gives a specific time and date they can start registration (enrollment appointments are computer-generated and randomly-assigned). They cannot do so online or by using the phone registration system.
For spring 2017 the dates are:
– Priority 3: December 15-16, 2016
– Open Registration: December 20, 2016 – January 14, 2017.