WorkAbility III provides career services for students with disabilities who are consumers of the California Department of Rehabilitation. Services include college success workshops, job-seeking skills classes, job placement, accommodations and career counseling.
WorkAbility III services include:
- College Success Workshops
- Career Development and Job-Seeking Skills Class
- Career Counseling
- Job Placement Services
Workability III Location
Workability III Hours
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Call for appointment, 916-558-2590 or email Taylorem@scc.losrios.edu
Workability III Staff
- WorkAbility III Counselor/Coordinator: vacant
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 916-558-2590
- Office Location: Student Services Building, STS 122
College Success Workshops
Each semester, the College Success Workshops are offered at Sacramento City, American River, Cosumnes River and Folsom Lake Colleges. This is a three-hour workshop that will help you use your DOR services to become a successful college student, as well as successfully transition into your career. The workshop content includes:
- Choosing a major
- Department of Rehab support
- The impact of disability on your college and career
- Student Success and Support Services
- Drug and Medication issues
- Study Strategies
- Introduction to Career Development
- School-to-Career activities.
Job-Seeking Skills Classes and Workshops
WorkAbility III offers an 8-week Job-Seeking Skills class specifically focused to serve students with disabilities who are transitioning from college to work. This is a one-unit class that includes the following topics:
- Clarifying your career goals
- Non-traditional job-seeking strategies
- Disability issues, accommodations planning
- Employment Portfolio (applications, resumes, cover letters, references)
- Interview Preparation
- Career growth issues.
Completion of the JSS class enables a student to work 1-1 with a job developer, in order to successfully get and keep a job.
This class is offered as a 3-week workshop each semester at ARC and CRC colleges.
Other WorkAbility Services
Career and Disability Counseling
What’s the right job for me? How can I access my career and accommodate my disability? How will returning to work impact my medical and SSI benefits? These are important topics that affect our career decisions. Career and disability counseling is available as you navigate the important decisions along your career development.
Job Placement Services
Once a student has successfully completed the Job-Seeking Skills class or workshop, you can work 1-1 with our WorkAbility III Job Developer to make the transition into work. The role of the Job Developer is to help each student use the career development tools learned in the JSS class, while attaining the highest level of independence. Job-placement services may include:
- Assistance in setting up information interviews, job shadow and internship opportunities with employers.
- Assistance in developing an Employment Portfolio, which includes a master application, resume, cover letter, reference list and letters of recommendation.
- Job interview coaching.
- Support and encouragement throughout the job-seeking process.
California Department of Rehabilitation
The California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) is a state agency that helps individuals with disabilities go to work. Some of the services that the DOR provides may include:
- Assistance with selecting a career goal.
- Support for training at a college or other training center.
- Job placement assistance.
Laguna Creek Branch (South Sac/Elk Grove)
8701 Center Parkway, Suite 100, Sacramento
Orientations every Wednesday, 9:00 a.m.
Capitol Mall Branch (Central Sacramento)
721 Capitol Mall, Suite 110, Sacramento
Orientations every Wednesday, 9:00 a.m.
Northeast Branch (Fair Oaks, Carmichael, Citrus Heights, Folsom)
7840 Madison Avenue, Suite 160, Fair Oaks
Orientations every Thursday at 9:00 a.m.
Woodland Branch (Davis, W Sac, Woodland)
1100 Main Street, Suite 340, Woodland
Orientations every 2nd and 4th Wed at 10:00
11641 Blocker Drive, Suite #125, Auburn
Orientations by appointment, 530-823-4040
1166 Broadway, Suite S, Placerville
Orientations by appointment, 530-626-0900
151 North Sunrise Ave, Suite 601, Roseville
Orientations every 1st and 3rd Friday, 9:00