We are here to help guide students through the internship and work experience search process. Our goal is to help students make connections with employers and organizations that may provide internship and other work experience opportunities. This is a collaborative effort between us and you, the student, to work together in finding appropriate internships and work experience.
Our staff will help you with the following:
- Internships – We provide assistance with the internship search and application process.
- Work experience – We provide assistance to students in searching for volunteer work that may be related to their major and help with the career decision making process. Many students do volunteer work to build employability and interpersonal skills needed for the workforce.
- Resumes and interview assistance – We provide guidance to students in developing resumes and preparing for interviews. We also refer students to the SCC Career Center to receive more formal/individual assistance with resumes, interviews and other career development services.
*Please note – We do not guarantee internship or any other employment placement.
What is an Internship?
An internship is a form of experiential learning, which offers you the opportunity to work in an entry-level, workplace-related position that related to your major. It gives you a chance to gain valuable experience and make professional connections in your field. Internships can be paid or unpaid, and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate your talent. As an intern, you will work under close supervision of the employer, to teach you the skills needed to be successful in this career path or job. This is meant to be a learning experience in the work environment and field of your choice, as related to your academic major.
While participating in an internship or work experience opportunity (job, volunteer position, paid or unpaid), the student will also be enrolled in a Work Experience Course, in which they can earn 1-4 units of academic credit based on the hours of work they complete in a semester.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements to Determine if you are Ready for an Internship and WEXP course:
- Have a declared major and some career goals
- Have completed at least second or third semester
- Completion of at least 2 core classes related to your major
- Be in good academic standing (2.5 GPA or higher)
- Have at least 4-20 hours per week during the semester available to devote to an internship
- Enroll and participate in a Work Experience Course (see WEXP Course tab at top of page)
Search for Internships
To search for internships and work experience opportunities posted through the Los Rios Work Experience and Internship website – click on LINCS for students (see side bar for Student or Employer LOGIN box).
Additional Internship and Employment search websites:
Foundation for CA Community Colleges – Student Assistant positions through the State of CA and other public agencies (PAID)
SMUD – Student Assistant positions and Military Outreach
University Enterprises – CSUS Organization assisting students in finding student assistant positions