Image from Star Wars movie poster with characters' faces replaced by faces of students and staff from SCC Makerspace

Makerspace Opens with ‘May the 4th’ Party

SCC’s brand new Makerspace launched with a Star Wars-themed grand opening party on Friday, May 4 … May the 4th be with you!

If you haven’t checked the space out yet, be sure to stop by sometime. The energy of the students working there and the exciting tools and equipment may inspire you to imagine, design, create!

Located in a galaxy not so far away (Cosmetology 108 and 110), the Makerspace is packed wall-to-wall with cutting edge technology for students to use in project-based learning. The equipment and work areas include 3D printers, laser cutters, podcast recording studio, and a fully stocked woodshop.

The Makerspace is a place for students to be creative, experiment, collaborate, innovate and bring their ideas to life. It allows for real-life applications of science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics concepts.

“When I first came into the Makerspace, I realized I finally found a place where I can work on my purpose,” said student Steven Betterly. “Whatever ideas that I have, I can come here and actually do something, make something out of that. I can now invent.”

Students are able to gain experience that will not only help them succeed in classes, but will give them a leg up in achieving their career goals. In addition to hard skills, such as how to use equipment, they learn soft skills that are just as important, such as critical thinking, teamwork and communication.

SCC joins a statewide movement of establishing makerspaces at community college campuses, and secured a seed grant through the California Community Colleges’ CCC Maker initiative to fund startup costs.