Social Media Participation Guidelines
As an institution of higher learning, Sacramento City College – by its very nature – embraces the free and open exchange of ideas. To that end, we are committed to the community's First Amendment rights and the core values of free speech.
We believe in fostering a thriving online community. We support the various channels of social networking – Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and so on – as valuable tools for engaging students, staff, faculty, alumni, friends, and supporters in a constructive two-way dialogue about Sacramento City College and its mission.
All content, information, and views expressed on social media belong to the individuals posting the content. These view do not necessarily reflect the official policies or positions of the college, district, or Board of Trustees. We are not responsible for unanswered posts or inaccurate information posted by others.
Here are guidelines for engaging in Sacramento City College social media platforms:
- Be respectful of the rights and opinions of others. Be willing to agree to disagree and move on.
- Stay on topic. Our social media sites are established as forums for the open and honest discussion of matters and developments related to – and limited to – our mission.
- Be transparent and honest.
- Add value. Be part of the conversation but don't take it over.
- Avoid hateful speech, personal attacks, flaming, profanity, vulgarity, pornography, nudity, and abusive language.
- Keep personal information (for example, your phone number and address) out of your posts.
- Think before you post. Almost everything you write or post to a social media site – words, pictures, video – is public or can be discovered. If you post on any of our social media sites, then you consent that what you post can be published and you waive any expectation of privacy regarding the post. What you choose to add to the conversation today will live on long after the subject matter has come and gone as a topic of conversation.
- We encourage you to post comments and "like" articles, photos, and videos you enjoy.
On our Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram pages and other social media platforms, our goal is to post interesting, entertaining, and educational content. We welcome your comments and suggestions. We encourage conversation and dialogue, but we want to ensure a respectful online environment and invigorating conversation for the broader college community. Our page administrators review posts and comments regularly to ensure any issues or concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
We may or may not reply to comments, but if it's provocative, fair, and insightful, chances are others will engage in the conversation.
We reserve the right to determine and remove from Sacramento City College social media sites any of the following:
- Comments, links, images, or videos that are illegal or encourage illegal activity, or are obscene, defamatory/libelous/slanderous, indecent, lewd, lascivious, sexually harassing or explicit in nature, or pose risks to the health or safety of individuals
- Comments that personally attack or threaten any person
- For students, anything that would violate District policies regarding student regulations
- For staff and faculty, anything that would violate District policies regarding staff and faculty regulations
- Successive off-topic posts by one or more individuals or groups
- Repetitive posts copied and pasted or duplicated by one or more individuals or groups
- Solicitations or advertisements
- Any materials that infringe upon the intellectual property or other rights of any third party
If you have a concern about any posted content, or about any content that has been removed by a site administrator, please email: PIO@scc.losrios.edu