Campus Closure Notice
Effective March 13, 20202, we have ceased in-person operations due to the COVID-19 crisis. We are delaying Advanced Education processing until April 13, 2020. No Advanced Education paperwork will be accepted until that time. Please check back on April 6, 2020 for any updates.
What is Advanced Education?
Advanced education is a program for current high school students who are concurrently enrolled at Sacramento City College. Advanced education students may enroll in two college courses each semester.
- You have completed the 10th grade or will be at least 16 years old by the first day of instruction.
- You demonstrate exemplary academic achievement as evidenced by a GPA of 2.7 or above, an analysis of transcripts, letters of support from high school counselors and teachers, and/or other academic success indicators.
- The course you want to take is not available to you at your school.
- The course is not remedial (1-99 classes).
- The course is not being repeated due to an unsatisfactory grade.
- The course is for advanced study and you are able to demonstrate adequate preparation and completed prerequisites for the course.
You must follow these steps every semester that you wish to register in classes while concurrently enrolled in high school:
Apply to Sacramento City College
- All first- time advanced education students must complete the Sacramento City College application. Note: If you are a continuing advanced education student, you do not need to complete the full application again. Instead, log in to eServices and complete the Supplemental Enrollment Information form.
- Each semester/term, complete and submit to Admissions and Records ( AdvancedEd@scc.losrios.edu) an Advanced Education Application Packet and the following:
- Copy of your high school transcript and current high school class schedule
- Approval signatures of a high school official and your parent/legal guardian
- A copy of your Private School Affidavit (when appropriate)
- Documentation of age (must be 16 years of age or older at the start of the class)
- Completed personal statement
Please note: The high school administrator or counselor who approves and signs the Advanced Education application must be on the approved list for that school. For private/home schools, the administrator who signs must be listed on the Private School Affidavit. Students with applications that do not have “approved” signers will not be allowed to meet with an SCC counselor.
Satisfy Course Prerequisites
If a prerequisite is required for a course you will be requesting, attach AP test scores or other college transcripts to the Advanced Education packet. For English and math placements, submit your unofficial high school transcript to the SCC Admissions and Records office.
Your placement will be processed and visible in eServices. To view placements, login to eServices, click on Student Center tile and your placements are displayed in the Assessment Placements section.
For English only, if your cumulative high school GPA is between 2.7 and 2.99, you are required to submit a letter of support from your last or current high school English teacher stating you are capable of college-level work.
Advanced education students qualify for priority registration as Priority 3. All advanced education students must register for classes in person at the Admissions & Records office at a Sacramento City College campus , Davis Center or West Sacramento Center; advanced education students cannot enroll online. Students must bring a completed and approved Advanced Education Application Packet and photo ID with them at the time of enrollment.
As advanced education students have their tuition/enrollment fees waived, students are only responsible for the payment of the additional fees, including the universal transit pass (UTP) and student representation fee.
Note: High school students may be exempt from fees associated with being a California non-resident; however, international student tuition is not waived.