FAQ’S Degree/Certificate Petition

Degrees and Certificates Petitions

When are the deadlines to submit Graduation Petition Forms?

Spring – 1st Friday of March

Fall – 1st Friday of October

Summer – 3rd Friday of June

How do I fill-out a graduation petition?

You may submit a Degree/Certificate Petition Online.


You may submit a Degree/Certificate Paper Petition to Admissions and Records front desk.

When will I receive my Diploma and/or Certificate?

You should allow 4-6 months from the end of the graduating semester before you receive your diploma and/or certificate.

NOTE: If you change your address with the college during this time, you must also notify the Evaluations department in the Admissions & Records Office since your petition information is maintained in a separate database.

Why the long wait between my petition submission and receiving my degree and/or certificate?

There are many factors. The evaluators receive hundreds of petitions. The staff must wait for final grades to be submitted by professors, review the petitions and completed coursework for accuracy, post the degree and certificate information to students’ records, and then order the diplomas and certificates. Keep in mind that all of this work happens at the same time as the staff is also registering students and performing other Admissions and Records duties.

Should I meet with a Counselor?

Meeting with a Counselor is very important if you’re unsure if you are eligible to graduate. Lacking even a single requirement can cause the evaluation to result in a denial email.

If you receive a denial email, the evaluator’s denial email will direct you to Counseling to review unmet requirements.

Can I schedule an appointment with an evaluator?

Unfortunately, no.

However, you should meet with Counselors throughout your time at SCC to make sure you’re satisfying the General Education and Major requirements, especially if you decide to change majors.

What are Catalog Rights?

“Catalog Rights” is the term used to define the specific set of requirements ordinarily as established in the catalog for a specific year, which the student must satisfy to qualify for a degree or certificate.

Students may choose to qualify for graduation under the requirements in effect either at the time they began attending or at the time they graduate. Please see a Counselor for further information about your Catalog Rights.

How can I track my Academic Progress?

You may track your Academic Progress in eServices using the tool – Academic Requirements.



Am I ready to graduate?

You may be ready to graduate when you satisfy the following requirements to earn an Associate in Arts/Science degree:

  • Complete a minimum of 60 degree applicable units with a grade point average of 2.0 (“C” average). A minimum of 12 units must be completed at Sacramento City College (SCC).
  • Complete All General Education: Areas I, II (a & b), III (a & b, or c), IV, V (a & b), and VI.
  • Complete each required course with a grade of “C” or better for a Major offered at SCC.
  • Complete all three (3)Competency Requirements
    • Reading
    • Writing
    • Mathematics

What is an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science (AA/AS)?

An Associate of Arts (A.A.) is a general degree granted by California Community Colleges; whereas, an Associate of Science (A.S.) is a general degree granted by California Community Colleges with some having more emphasis career-technical training than the A.A. degree.

An AA/AS signifies the completion of a minimum 60 degree applicable units of college work in General Education (GE) and courses required for a major.

Students planning to graduate with the Associate Degree must complete all of the required courses for the major (from 18 to approximately 30 units plus), along with general education requirements and sufficient electives to meet a minimum of 60 degree applicable units.

Are the Writing, Reading, and Math Competencies necessary for an A.A.?


You must complete all three (3) Competency Requirements

  • Reading Competency
  • Writing Competency
  • Mathematics Competency

EXCEPTION: Students who possess a baccalaureate or higher degree completed at a college or university accredited through a CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) recognized Regional Accrediting Agency will have satisfied general education and competency requirements for the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree. Degrees from accredited institutions outside of the United States will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

What is a Certificate or a Certificate of Achievement?

A Certificate (C) is intended to certify that students completing all required courses for a major are prepared to meet specific occupational needs, upgrade skills, or for advancement in an existing career. A Certificate requires 11.5 units or less with grades of “C” or better in each course. In addition, a Certificate requires that all courses listed in the Required Program of study be completed at Sacramento City College.

A Certificate of Achievement (COA) is offered to students who complete the program requirements. A Certificate of Achievement (12 units or more of degree-applicable courses) is intended to certify that students completing all required courses for a major are prepared to enter the careers designated on their certificate. A Certificates of Achievement requires grades of “C” or better in each course with a minimum of 12 units completed at SCC.

Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)

What is an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)?

California Community Colleges are offering Associate in Arts and Associate in Science (ADT) degrees for transfer to the California State University (CSU) system. These degrees are designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admissions with Junior standing in the CSU system and are given priority admission consideration to their local CSU. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or universities.

What are the ADT requirements?

The ADT student completion requirements (as stated in SB1440 law) are:

  • Completion of a minimum of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
    • The California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC –CSU).
  • A minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college distracts.
  • Achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
  • Earn a “C” grade or better in all required major courses

Are the Writing, Reading, and Math Competencies necessary for an ADT?


Instead, you must meet either the CSU-Breadth or IGETC – CSU General Education requirements. To ensure Graduation Petition and transfer success, meeting with a Counselor to review the CSU – Breadth and/or IGETC – CSU General Education requirements is highly recommended.

CSU eVerify

16. How is my ADT CSU eVerified?

For E-verification of your ADT, you MUST submit an SCC graduation petition by the SCC’s graduation deadline.

Transfers from other Colleges

Do I need to submit official transcript(s)?


Submission of official transcripts can establish course prerequisites, used for General Education and Major Course Substitutions, and satisfy graduation requirements.

Official transcripts also inform Counselors of your prior coursework and help Counselors create an Academic plan that encompasses all of your coursework while avoiding course repetition.

For graduation, official transcripts enable evaluators to include General Education and Major Course substitutions during the Graduation Petition evaluation.

What is Transfer Credit?

Upon submissions and evaluation of official transcripts, SCC will accept coursework from colleges and universities that are accredited by the following regional bodies:

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Coursework accepted cannot be remedial or post-baccalaureate in nature.

How do I transfer my Foreign College/University Coursework?

Students wishing to use coursework from a foreign college or university will need to get that coursework evaluated. Once the evaluation has been completed, please submit official copies to the Admissions and Records Office.

Please keep in mind that SCC is unable to award credit for coursework that is high school, remedial, or post-baccalaureate in nature.

SCC will accept foreign transcript evaluations from any agency that is a current member of either AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services).

For specific agencies that are members of AICE or NACES go to:
AICE website: www.aice-eval.org
NACES website: http://www.naces.org/

I’ve taken college courses outside the Los Rios District, why aren’t those courses reflected on my SCC transcript?

Transcript credit(s) submitted before July 2015 may not be notated in eServices or your transcript. However, transcript credit(s) submitted after July 2015 will be notated on your transcripts as well as eServices.

Course Substitutions

When do I need a Course Substitution Petition?

Course Substitution Petitions are needed when an equivalent course has been taken at another college, both within LRCCD and outside of LRCCD. Course Substitution Petitions start in the Counseling Center after your official transcripts have been received. Approved and signed Course Substitution Petitions need to be submitted to the Admission and Records Office before the end of the semester/session in which you are applying to graduate.

If you have taken a class outside the LRCCD that might cover any of the below Requirements, download the Course Substitution Petition.

Examination Scores

What is an Advanced Placement (AP) score(s)?

Students at Sacramento City College may be awarded units of credit for each Advanced Placement examination (CEEB) they pass with a score of 3, 4, or 5.

Students will receive units/credits but not letter grades for these courses, and they will not be used in the computation of cumulative grade point average for graduation or transfer. After successful completion of 12 units at SCC, a student in good standing may submit their official CEEB Advanced Placement Test scores to the Admissions and Records Office for evaluation.

For transferring students, AP examination information is listed as it applies to meeting CSU General Education-Breadth or IGETC requirements. Students should check with their transfer institution about policies for using AP scores for admissions and/or their major. Students who have earned credit from an AP exam should NOT take a comparable college course because transfer credit will not be granted for both.

What is International Baccalaureate (IB)?

Sacramento City College may award college credit for international baccalaureate (IB) higher level course completion with scores of 5, 6, or 7, if the course work is compatible with the college’s curriculum. No credit will be granted for lower level course work completed in the IB program. Students who have earned credit from an IB exam should not take a comparable college course because transfer credit will not be granted for both.

What is College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)?

After completing 12 units at Sacramento City College, a student may submit qualifying scores for the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) to the Admissions and Records Office. Students may be granted up to 30 units of credit for examinations with scores of 50 percentile or higher. Students should be aware that four-year colleges have the right to accept, modify, or reject CLEP units.


How do I participate in Commencement? Is participation mandatory?

Participation in the Commencement Ceremony is not mandatory; however, all students receiving degrees are encourage to attend to celebrate their academic achievement.

Students may graduate at the end of the fall semester, spring semester, or summer session; however the Commencement Ceremony is held only once a year in May.

Your name should be in the Commencement Program if you filed your petition to graduate according to the Admissions & Records deadline. Signing up for the Commencement Ceremony (Registering to “walk”) does not guarantee that your name will be in the program.