College and Academic Regulations

Unit of Work

College work is measured in terms of the semester “unit.” In recitation-lecture courses, one hour in the classroom and two hours of study preparation per week constitute a unit of work. In the laboratory, three hours in the classroom per week with no outside study constitute one unit of work. Students can find the number of units of credit with each course description.

Grades and Grade Point Averages

At the end of each semester or summer session, a report of academic performance is made for every course undertaken. The grading standards, with their grade point equivalents, are as follows:

GradeGrade Point Equivalent
A – Excellent4 grade points per unit
B – Good3 grade points per unit
C – Satisfactory2 grade points per unit
D – Passing, less than satisfactory1 grade point per unit
F – Failing0 grade points, no units earned
P – PassNot computed in GPA, but (C or better) affects progress, probation and dismissal. Formerly known as “CR”.
NP – No PassNot computed in GPA, but (less than C) affects progress, probation and dismissal. Formerly known as “NC”.
I – IncompleteNot computed in GPA, but affects progress, probation and dismissal
IP – In ProgressCourse transcends semester limitation
W – WithdrawalNot computed in GPA, but affects progress, probation and dismissal
EW – Excused WithdrawalNot computed in GPA and does not affect progress, probation and dismissal, nor is it counted toward the permitted number of attempts for a course.
MW – Military WithdrawalNot computed in GPA and does not affect progress, probation and dismissal

“Pass-No Pass” Grading

(Formerly known as Credit-No Credit Grading)*

A student may elect one course per semester to be graded on a Pass or No Pass grading basis. A request form must be filed with the Admissions and Records Office for this option prior to the end of the fifth week for a regular semester course or by the 30% meeting in a short-term class (see files/2014/01/pass-nopass.pdf for an online form). The deadlines for filing the request for short-term courses are published on the Academic Calendar (click on the appropriate semester, then click on “Click here for more information, including start/end dates, drop/add dates”). The equivalent of an A, B, or C received for the course will be recorded as “P”, with units earned. The equivalent of D or F will be recorded as “NP”, with no units earned. Units attempted for Pass/ No Pass grades are not computed in the grade point average, but are used for determining progress probation and progress dismissal and minimum progress for students receiving financial aid.

Students are advised to consult with a counselor for current policies regarding Pass/No Pass grading before using this grading option.

*Courses taken prior to December 31, 2008 are noted on the student record as CR/NC. Courses taken after January 1, 2009 are noted as P/NP, per Title V section 55022.

Grades of “Incomplete”

An incomplete grade, “I”, may be assigned by the instructor when, in the judgment of that instructor, the student is unable to complete the course requirements before the end of the semester due to unforeseeable, emergency and justifiable circumstances. To receive credit for the course, the incomplete work must be finished no later than one year from the end of the semester in which it was assigned. A final grade will be assigned when the incomplete work has been finished and evaluated, or when the time limit for completing the work has elapsed. A student receiving an incomplete may NOT re-enroll in the course. A student may petition for a time extension due to extenuating circumstances.

Grades of “W” Withdrawal from Class

A student may officially drop a class without notation (a “W” grade) on the permanent academic record/transcript prior to the point in which 20% of a class has occurred. These important dates are available on the Academic Calendar (click on the appropriate semester, then click on “Click here for more information, including start/end dates, drop/add dates”). Withdrawals occurring after this time, and before the point in which 75% of the class has occurred, shall result in a “W” notation on the permanent academic record/transcript. Official withdrawals are those that have been processed via eServices or by staff in the Admissions and Records Office.

A “W” grade on the permanent academic record/transcript is used for determining Progress Probation and Progress Dismissal. No withdrawals are permitted during the last 25% of a course, except due to extenuating circumstances (verified cases of accidents, illness or other circumstances beyond the control of the student), for which a student may request withdrawal through the student petition process. After consultation with the instructor and with administrative approval, the withdrawal may be recorded as a “W” rather than as a less than satisfactory or failing grade on the permanent academic record/transcript. In all other cases, after the 75% date, a student will receive a grade in the course.

Military withdrawal is available when supporting documentation showing orders compelling a withdrawal is provided along with a student petition. Military withdrawal is available for students who are members of an active or reserve military service, and who receive orders compelling a withdrawal from courses.

Excused withdrawal may be considered when supporting documentation is provided along with a student petition.

Good Standing

Both quality of performance and progress toward completion of objectives are considered in determining a student’s eligibility to attain or remain in good standing and attendance at a Los Rios college. A student merits good standing only by completing 12 or more semester units with a 2.0 GPA on a 4-point grading scale and by more than 50 percent or more of all attempted units. It is the instructor’s responsibility to notify the student, at the mid-term date, if (and only if) that student is making less than satisfactory progress.

Regulations on Course Repetition

Repetition of courses must be conducted by all California community colleges in compliance with California Title V Regulations, Sections 55040 through 55046.

Course Repetition to Clear a Sub-Standard Grade

A course may be taken once and repeated up to two times at any of the Los Rios colleges for which a notation of D, F, NC (No Credit), NP (No Pass), or W (Withdrawal) was earned. This regulation is effective across the district at all Los Rios colleges. If you took a course at any of the Los Rios colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, or Sacramento City, this counts as one of your three attempts.

Repeatable Courses

Courses taken, earning a grade of C or better cannot be repeated. There are, however, certain specialized courses that are designated as “repeatable” and are listed as such in the course description.

These include:

  • Transfer level courses that may be taken more than once to meet the major requirement for transfer to a California State University (CSU) campus or to other universities with a similar transfer requirement.
  • Variable unit courses that are open entry/exit such as math, reading and writing laboratory courses; these courses may be repeated up to the total maximum units allowed.
  • Work Experience courses, which can be taken again when there is new or expanded learning on the job for a maximum of sixteen units.
  • Interscholastic sports and their related conditioning courses may be repeated to meet requirements for CCCCAA eligibility.
  • Intercollegiate academic or vocational competition courses with the primary purpose to prepare students for competition.

Non-Repeatable Courses – Petitioning for an Exception

There are a few special circumstances that allow students to complete the petition process to repeat a course that does not meet any of the criteria listed in the section just above.

These include:

  • Courses where students need to meet a legally mandated or licensure training requirement as a condition of continued paid or volunteer employment. These repetitions are not limited and are granted based on the college’s verification of established legal mandates.
  • If a student must meet an established recency requirement, a student may repeat a course because there has been a significant lapse of time (defined as at least three years) since the student previously took the course. In cases where a transfer university requires a community college course to be taken as a university prerequisite more recently than three years ago, a college may alter the three-year rule with documentation provided by the student. Grades awarded for courses repeated under this circumstance shall not be counted when calculating a student’s grade point average. This is a one-time exception.
  • The college finds that the student’s most recent previous grade is, at least in part, the result of extenuating circumstances. Extenuating circumstances are verified cases of accidents, illness, or other circumstances beyond the student’s control. This is a one-time exception.
  • A special course that can be repeatable by petition so that a particular student can be approved to repeat it as a disability-related accommodation.

Limitations on Active Participatory Courses – Families of Courses

Active participatory courses are those courses where individual study or group assignments are the basic means by which learning objectives are obtained. These include kinesiology/physical education (PE) active participatory courses, as well as visual and performing arts active participatory courses (theatre arts, music and art). Some courses in these categories are related in content and have been placed in groups that the Los Rios colleges are calling families of courses. Each family of courses allows for skill development beyond an introductory level.

Students are limited to taking a maximum of four courses in any one family across all four Los Rios colleges, regardless of how many courses there are; sometimes a family of courses may include more than four. For example, the FITNS Swimming family of courses across the four Los Rios colleges includes five courses – FITNS 440 through FITNS 444 (Swimming I, II, III, IV, and V).

In addition, if a student gets a sub-standard grade (a notation of D, F, NC (No Credit), NP (No Pass), or W (Withdrawal)) in any course within a family, the sub-standard grade counts as one of the four-course limitations in the family. The list of families of courses is available in the Admissions and Records Office at each college. Please consult with a counselor for more information.

Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition

A student may petition to have previous substandard work, (D’s or F’s) earned at Sacramento City College discounted. Courses and grades which no longer reflect the student’s current educational objective and current level of academic success may, upon petition, be discounted in the computation of the grade point average. The following conditions must apply:

  • A minimum of 12 consecutive months shall have elapsed since the end of the semester or summer session in which the work to be alleviated was recorded; and a minimum of twelve (12) semester units (or its equivalent) with a grade of C, Credit, or Pass or better shall have been attained. The coursework must have been completed at a regionally accredited college.
  • Current educational objectives must be discussed with a counselor and the counselor’s recommendation must be included on the petition.
  • No more than 30 units of substandard grades may be discounted.
  • Under no circumstances may course work be discounted if it was used to fulfill requirements for a degree or certificate that has been granted.
  • All grades remain on the permanent record and transcript of grades. However, a proper notation on the transcript will indicate the specific grades that were discounted from the grade point average.
  • Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Dean of Financial Aid and Student Success.
  • Once elected, the academic renewal cannot be reversed.
  • Academic Renewal is not intended for courses that are required and/or will be repeated.

Academic Renewal Petitions are available at Admissions and Records or online.


There are two types of probation: academic and progress:

Academic Probation

A student who has attempted at least 12 units is placed on Academic Probation if the student has earned a grade point average below 2.0 in all units that were graded.

Progress Probation

A student who has attempted at least 12 semester units is placed on Progress Probation when the percentage of all units in which a student has enrolled and for which entries of “W”, “I”, and “NP” grades are recorded reaches or exceeds 50 percent.

Unit Limitation

A student on either Academic or Progress Probation may be limited to 12 units plus a physical education/kinesiology activity course or to a maximum load recommended by the student’s counselor.  The student may be required to attend a fresh start workshop and meet with a success coach.

Removal from Probation

A student on Academic Probation is removed from probation and acquires good standing when the student’s cumulative grade point average is 2.0 or higher.

A student on Progress Probation is removed from probation and placed in good standing when the percentage of units with entries of “W”, “I”, and “NP” units drop below 50 percent.

Grade Computations

Grade Point Average = Total Grade Points Earned (divided by)/Total Units Attempted with Letter Grade

Progress Percentage = Total Units with “W”, “I”, and “NP” (divided by)/Total Units Enrolled


Academic Dismissal

A student on Academic Probation is subject to dismissal when the student earns a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 in all units attempted in each of three consecutive semesters.

Progress Dismissal

A student on Progress Probation is subject to dismissal if the cumulative percentage of units in which the student has been enrolled for which entries of “W”, “I”, and “NP” in at least three consecutive semesters reaches or exceeds fifty (5) percent.

Readmission Process

Students who have been dismissed from the college for academic and/or progress dismissal will be required to sit out the follow semester.  During that time the student may meet with a counselor and complete a readmission petition.  Students may be readmitted with a modified unit load.  Readmission Petitions must be submitted ten (10) days prior to the semester.


Students may petition to the Dean of Financial Aid and Student Success, for readmission following dismissal if their dismissal arises from one of the following:

  1. Military services obligations.
  2. Extenuating circumstances with documentation such as serious health problems, substantiated by a doctor’s statement, which affected academic performance.
  3. Disqualified from a four-year college or university to which they were admitted directly from high school.
  4. Conditions that their counselors determine may be rectified by a change of curriculum.

Class Attendance and Drops

For students to successfully complete their college work, regular class attendance is necessary, and students are expected to attend all sessions of the class in which they are enrolled.  Please refer to Los Rios Community College District Regulation R-2222 for specific regulatory information.

  1. Students who fail to attend the first session of a class will most likely be dropped by the instructor and lose their seat in the class.
  2. Any student with excessive absences may be dropped from any course by the instructor any time during the semester. Excessive absences are defined as 6% of the total hours of class time.  Instructors may establish and notify students of a more restrictive attendance policy if appropriate for their course.
  3. The application of the excessive absence concept may vary by division according to the attendance demands of a certain curriculum. Students enrolled in a program such as Cosmetology, Vocational Nursing, Registered Nursing, Aeronautics, Dental Assisting, or Dental Hygiene should become familiar with special attendance procedures.
  4. The instructor may reinstate a student dropped from a course provided the instructor fees the student can successfully complete the course.
  5. Students absent from classes for any reason should contact their instructors to determine “makeup” requirements.
  6. All students who remain enrolled in a class after the last date to withdraw will be issued a letter grade for the course. If a student has stopped attending but has not dropped the class, the student may receive an “F” grade for the course on their permanent record.  This grade will be used in computing probation or disqualification.  Exception to this policy requires the approval of the instructor(s) involved and the Dean of Financial Aid and Student Success.  Students are responsible for ensuring they are dropped from the class by accessing SCC eServices to drop the course.

Drop deadlines are available on the Academic Calendar (click on “Click here for more information, including start/end dates, drop/add dates”)

Veterans and Dropped Classes:

Veterans and eligible dependents who are using VA educational benefits will risk a decrease in pay, an overpayment and/or a full termination of pay when dropping courses that are certified under the Veterans Administration (VA).

Unit Load

College work is measured in terms of the semester “unit.”  In lecture courses, one hour in the classroom and two hours of study preparation per week constitute a unit of work.  In the laboratory, three hours in the classroom per week with no outside study constitute one unit of work.  The number of units of credit is listed with each course description.

The normal load for full-time students planning to graduate in four semesters is 15 units per semester.  Students desiring to carry units in excess of 18 units (8 units during Summer School) must obtain approval from the Dean of Financial Aid and Student Success.  To do so, students must petition one week prior to registering.

Students are regarded as legal “full-time students” if they carry a minimum load of 12 units.

Leave of Absence

Los Rios Community College District Policy P-7243 allows students to petition for leaves of absence from a college of the District in order to maintain Catalog Rights to a specified degree requirement option.

Leaves of absence may be granted for verified medical and military situations that prevent the student from attending classes in any college session in a calendar year. Such leaves shall be limited to two (2) successive calendar years. In extenuating circumstances, a leave of absence may be extended beyond the two-year limit.

A petition for a leave of absence should be filed in advance whenever possible. Students requesting a leave of absence during a semester must follow campus withdrawal procedures. Students applying for a medical leave of absence must furnish a statement from the attending medical physician explaining the necessity for the student to interrupt enrollment. A student applying for a leave of absence from a college for military service must furnish a copy of the military orders.

Auditing Courses

Sacramento City College does not permit auditing, which is defined as attending a course or courses, without completing the registration process.

Student Classification

Part-TimeA student carrying fewer than 12 units
Full-TimeA student carrying 12 or more units
FreshmanA student who has completed fewer than 30 units
SophomoreA student who has completed 30 or more units
GraduateA student who has been awarded the Associate degree or a higher degree by a recognized collegiate institution

Note: During the summer session, a student carrying six (6) units is considered full-time.

Final Examinations

The college requires final examinations in all courses. The college publishes a time schedule for final examinations which is posted each semester under the heading, “Student Essentials”, on the College’s homepage so students may be notified in sufficient time regarding the examination schedule.

Academic Honors

Each semester, Academic Honors may be earned by students enrolled in 12 units or more, nine (9) of which must be graded on a letter grade basis exclusive of Pass (P) or Credit (CR). Students who earn a grade point average of at least 3.0 have achieved Academic Honors. If they earn a grade point average of 3.5 or better, they have achieved Highest Honors.

Honors at Graduation

Students who maintain a high scholarship average are eligible for honors at graduation. Students who maintain a scholarship average of 3.5 or better are eligible for graduation with highest honors, and students who maintain a scholarship average of 3.0 or better are eligible for graduation with honors. The published lists of students are compiled from the data available at time of publication of the Commencement Program and may be subject to subsequent revision. Degree-applicable coursework from SCC and other colleges is used to determine honors at graduation.