Railroad Operations Contacts
Professor: Phil Cypret
This program is designed for students pursuing a career as a Railroad Conductor, Engineer or Manager of Train Operations.
To be eligible for enrollment in the program, the student must meet the following criteria:
- be a high school graduate or have obtained a GED
- must have no criminal record
- must have no moving violations within the last three years
- must have no drug convictions
- must be capable of lifting 90 pounds
Recommended High School Preparation
English, mathematics, physics, electronics, mechanics, and computers.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- qualify for an interview for a Conductor, Engineer or Management Position.
- demonstrate the knowledge and skills appropriate for an entry level railroad position.
- demonstrate the knowledge and skills pertaining to industry history, careers, operations, safety, quality, environment, procedures, and operating rules.
Associate in Science Degree
The Railroad Operations Associate in Science (A.S.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.
Certificate of Achievement (COA)
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by the completion of the required program with grades of “C” or better or equivalent.