Design & Digital Media Contacts
Design & Digital Media develops coursework in conjunction with Northern California industry leaders. Our courses offer students both current technology and theory in graphic design, digital imaging, digital illustration, and page layout skills for print, web, and other screen-based media, computer animation, 3D modeling, and video game design.
The Design & Digital Media Department partners with industry leaders to develop coursework that blends solid theoretical training with the latest technical tools. Faculty members ensure student engagement with principles of typography, color theory, layout, form, visual message-making, interaction, motion, animation, and game design while preparing students for real-world employment or transfer to a four-year institution. Design & Digital Media has been inspiring creative emergence and developing professional marketability for four decades.
Design & Digital Media Career Opportunities
Career Opportunities may be found in graphic design studios, publications, animation studios, video game design studios, in-house agencies, and self-employment or freelance work.
Recommended High School Preparation
Students should complete courses in one or more of the following: art, design, computer skills, photography, journalism, and creative writing.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate a comprehensive understanding and application of design theory and processes for creating original work.
- evaluate design opportunities, explore visual responses, and introduce and explain final results to an audience.
- determine the appropriate tool to solve a visual communication need.
- apply appropriate type, color, form, and imagery to a visual project.
- plan, design, and produce a multi-paged, multifaceted project in one or more of these mediums—print, Web, interactive, 3D, animation, or video game.
- communicate with the current and appropriate design industry vocabulary.
- utilize design as a tool of engagement in issues of sustainability, social responsibility, economic equality, and cultural understanding.
Associate in Science Degree
The Design & Digital Media Associate in Science (A.S.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.
Certificate of Achievement (COA)
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grade of “C” or better or equivalent.