Disability Services and Programs for Students at Sacramento city college is looking for volunteers!
Volunteers provide services that contribute to a student’s academic success and college experience. Volunteers provide support services that offer students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of college programs and activities. Other benefits include:
- Free training
- Work experience
- Community service
- Add to your resume (we’ll document your hours)
What kinds of opportunities are available?
- Notetaker: Attends class with student and provide neatly written summary/notes of class lectures to student after class.
- Scribe: Writes for in-class assignments and, if assigned, write for exams and quizzes at the DSPS Proctored Testing Center. Scribes will write only what is dictated to them by the student.
- Reader: Reads print materials in-class and/or during exams.
- Lab Assistant: Helps gather, setup, and clean materials.
- Exam Proctor: Monitors students while they are taking their exams at the Proctored Testing Center, schedules exam appointments and pick up/delivers exams.
- Adapted P.E. Student Assistant: Assists the instructor in working with students taking Adapted P.E. courses.
- Assistive Technology Computer Lab Assistant: Assists students with a variety of computer accommodations and answers questions regarding various software programs (i.e. JAWS, ZoomText, Kurzweil) and hardware (i.e. TrackBall, Scanners, Intellikeys Keyboard).
- Alternate Media Assistant: Assist the Alternate Media Specialist with converting course materials into accessible formats (i.e. Braille, Tactile Graphics, Electronic Text, large print).
- Clerical Assistant: Performs a variety of general office functions such as, but not limited to, answering phones, providing program information, schedule appointments.
How can I become a volunteer for DSPS?
To become a volunteer, please fill out a volunteer application at our office. We are located in the student services building. Volunteer applications are also available for download here.
Return all volunteer applications to Marina Zanardelli at DSPS. For more information, call Marina at 916-650-2792 or email her.