Electrical and Computer Engineering includes several fields of specialization that are both theoretical and applied in nature. Electrical Engineering students choose to study in the areas of electromagnetics, signal processing, integrated circuits, communications, solid-state electronics, control systems, and high voltage power generation and distribution.
Computer Engineering students study a broad range of computer system concepts. Many computer engineering degree programs combine the computer science program and the electrical engineering program at the university. Graduates gain employment as applications programmers, digital systems designers, systems programmers, computer systems marketing engineers, and project engineers.
Associate in Science Degree Information
The Engineering Associate in Science degree is designed to meet lower division requirements for various majors in engineering. Completion of the Associate in Science degree should qualify the student to transfer at the upper division level to an engineering program at a four-year institution. The degree has a common engineering core requirement as well as specific field requirements. The specific field requirements do vary depending on the four-year institution to which the student will transfer. Thus, requirements for specific universities should be checked before selecting specific field courses.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- solve problems by applying knowledge of mathematics through differential and integral calculus, differential equations and linear algebra.
- solve problems by applying knowledge of science including chemistry and physics.
- use technology to enhance their productivity.
- apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering to identify, formulate, and solve basic electrical/computer engineering problems.
- demonstrate an understanding of the ethical and professional responsibilities of an engineer and how engineering solutions can impact society.
- communicate thoughts in both written and oral forms to team members and larger audiences.
- seek transfer at the junior level into an Electrical/Computer Engineering program at a four-year institution.
The Engineering, Electrical/Computer Engineering Associate in Science (A.S.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.