Microcomputer Technician Contacts
The Microcomputer Technician Program consists of courses from the Computer Information Science department, and the Electronic Technology department. It is designed to prepare students for entry level employment as a technician in the repair, installation and maintenance of individual computers and network systems.
Recommended High School Preparation
Courses in electricity, electronics, English, algebra, physics, chemistry, and computers.
In addition to the normal student expenses (for textbooks, personal equipment, and supplies), laboratory materials fees may be required. Students will be responsible for providing some of their own parts and a basic electronics tool kit. These will be available as ready-made sets in the College Store. For specific class-required materials and texts, check with the electronics faculty or the College Store. These fees may vary each semester. If these fees create a financial burden, students should consult the Financial Aid Office for possible assistance.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- use the operating system on a personal computer to manipulate files and folders.
- use the operating system on a personal computer to configure hardware and applications.
- explain common computer terminology used in computer information science and electronics technology.
- diagnose common computer errors that occur because of hardware, software, or network problems.
- predict common computer error solutions in hardware, software, or network systems.
- resolve common computer errors that occur in hardware, software, or network systems.
Associate in Science Degree
The Microcomputer Technician Associate in Science (A.S.) degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.
Certificate of Achievement (COA)
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grade of “C” or better or equivalent.