Early Childhood Education Program Contacts
Program Coordinator: Laurie Perry
Counseling Liaison: Jonathan Harvey
Associate in Arts for Transfer
The Associate in Arts in Early Childhood Education for Transfer is designed to provide a clearly articulated curricular track for Sacramento City College students preparing to transfer in Child Development or Early Childhood Education while also serving the diverse needs of students interested in the breadth and depth of the field. Additionally, this program will expose students to the core principles and practices of the field in order to build a foundation for their future personal, academic, or vocational paths. In addition to transfer, this foundation would be appropriate for students working in early care and development programs.
The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) student completion requirements (as stated in SB1440 law):
(1) Completion of a minimum of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
(A) The California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
(B) A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
(2) Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0. ADTs also require that students must earn a “C” or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. A “P” (Pass) grade is not an acceptable grade for courses in the major.
Students should meet with the Early Childhood Education Coordinator prior to declaring this major.
The Associate in Arts in Early Childhood Education for Transfer is designed for transfer to a California State University. Students completing the degree would be prepared to work as teachers in an early care and education program.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate foundational knowledge of child development and the socializing factors in children’s lives.
- model appropriate interactions with children in an early care and education setting with the guidance and support of more experienced staff.
- integrate knowledge of the theories of high-quality appropriate care and education of young children into their coursework and teaching interactions with young children.
Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree
The Associate in Arts in Early Childhood Education for Transfer (AA-T) degree may be obtained by completion of 60 transferable, semester units with a minimum 2.0 GPA, including (a) the major or area of emphasis described in the Required Program, and (b) either the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.