Federal Work-Study

Sacramento City College provides Federal Work-Study (FWS) jobs to assist students with their educational expenses.

FWS is part time employment for students who are enrolled in at least six (6) Financial Aid Course Eligible units at SCC. Students are paid an hourly rate at minimum wage of $12.00. FWS students normally work an average of 17 hours per week; however it depends on the needs of each department. Jobs are provided at Sacramento City College, including West Sacramento and Davis Centers. We also partner with several off campus community service employers.

NOTE:  The Financial Aid Office reserves the right to reduce your FWS award at the end of the Fall and Spring semester for hours not worked or due to ineligibility. Your FWS award may also be reduced at any time if your financial need changes. It is your responsibility to notify your supervisor of any changes of your FWS award.

*If you are taking classes during summer term, your eligibility might change.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much am I eligible for?

SCC determines the number of hours a student  is allowed to work based on the student’s financial need and the combination of work and study hours affect the student’s health and academic progress. On average, your financial aid includes the initial maximum of $7,000 in Work-Study, this is the total amount you can earn as a Work-Study student. Your financial aid offer splits $3,500 for Fall and $3,500 for Spring but as far as Work-Study is concerned, you can earn any or the entire amount at any point during the program year while enrolled and as long as you are going to be enrolled for both semesters.

How do I find a Work-Study job?

  • Once a student receives a message on e-Services that they are eligible for FWS, they will have to find a work assignment on campus.
  • Interested students should visit the Career Center to view and apply to current open positions.
  • Review the positions and fill out a Student Application form for the jobs that interests you. Please print a copy of the message and include with your job application.
  • You will be contacted by a department’s FWS supervisor for an interview.
  • If hired, the department supervisor will have you complete the Intent to Employ packet and forward it to the Financial Aid Office.
  • The Financial Aid Office will be granted a FWS award for the Fall and Spring terms.
  • The department supervisor will notify you regarding starting date of employment as soon as your employment packet is approved.
  • You cannot begin working until your Employment Packet has been completed. Some departments require criminal background checks on FWS employees prior to being hired.

Are there any restrictions with Work-Study jobs?

  • Maintain enrollment in at least 6 Financial Aid Course Eligible units at SCC
  • Maintain minimum 2.0 GPA
  • Maintain a minimum of 66.67% passing percentage of attempted units
  • Have not exceeded 150% attempted units for program of study

How many hours per week can I work?

  • A national study showed that students who work 10-15 hours per week have a higher graduation rate than the overall student body. However, the graduation rate begins to decline as the number of hours worked increases above 15. Students who tried to work more than 20 hours per week and go to school full-time have the highest dropout rate.
  • We strongly discourage any student from being employed in more than one area on campus. Since the combined total of hours worked cannot exceed 26 hours a week, or eight hours per day, both areas would have to coordinate the student’s work schedule so the hourly limits and FWS funding are not exceeded. It is the student’s responsibility to notify both supervisors that he/she is employed in another department.

What is the pay rate for a Work-Study student?

  • The FWS pay rate reflects the CA state minimum wage at the time of employment.
  • Your paycheck is based upon hours worked.
  • A monthly pay period is defined as: “The hours earned from the 25th day of each month through the 24th day of the following month.”

Can I keep working if I’m not enrolled or graduated?

Not as a Work-Study employee. If you drop below 6 financial aid eligible units, withdrew, or were dismissed, you cannot continue to work in a work-study position. It ends on the last day of your enrollment. If an employer wants to keep you and pay you 100% of your earnings without the Work-Study subsidy, that is between you and your employer, otherwise it is not Work-Study employment. You must notify your employer of your change in enrollment.