Grants are money the government provides to students who need to pay for college.

Grants do not have to be repaid, unlike loans. Eligible students receive a specified amount each year under the programs listed below.

Pell Grant

The largest source of free money from the federal government for students with financial need:

  • Apply for Financial Aid by completing your FAFSA starting October 1st for 2019-2020 and beyond.
  • Awarded to every undergraduate who qualifies and hasn’t already earned a bachelor’s degree using Pell Grant formula 3
  • The amount you are eligible for depends on your expected family contribution (EFC), cost of attendance (COA) and whether you’re attending full or part-time
  • Can be used to pay for tuition, fees and living expenses at any qualifying college
  • You can receive Pell Grant from only one college at a time that you are attending
  • Effective 2012-2013 there is a lifetime eligibility limit for Pell Grant

How do I apply?

You automatically apply when you complete the FAFSA and authorize the release of the information to the U.S. Department of Education.

Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Information


The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is awarded to eligible undergraduates with exceptional financial need; complete the FAFSA by the March 2nd priority deadline for the academic year; and are enrolled in at least 6 Financial Aid eligible units:

  • The average amount awarded is $300.00 per primary term (excludes Summer)
  • Priority consideration if you’re eligible for a Pell Grant
  • Unlike Pell Grants, funds are limited, so there’s no guarantee you’ll receive one

How do I apply?

You automatically apply when you complete the FAFSA and authorize the release of the information to the U.S. Department of Education.

Cal Grant

Applying for Cal Grant Takes Two Forms! FAFSA or CA Dream App (AB540AB2000 only) + Your Verified GPA= Cal Grant Application.

File your Financial Aid Applications and Cal Grant GPA Verification or the Non-SSN GPA Verification form by the March 2 deadline for a Cal Grant-that’s money you don’t have to pay back!

*Missed the March 2 deadline? There is a second deadline, only for California Community College students, September 2. Submit the required forms before the September 2 deadline to be considered for this specific Cal Grant. There is a limited number of September Cal Grants available.

For additional information visit the California Student Aid Commission’s website.

WebGrants for Students


The Student Success Completion Grant (formerly CCCG & FTSSG), effective Fall 2018 is awarded to  California Community College students who collect the Cal Grant and are Full-Time . Students are required to enroll in 12 or more units, meet both college and federal satisfactory academic standards, and be exempt from nonresident tuition.

The award amount is $649-$2,000 per semester (24-30 units maximum, based on state funding).

In order to participate in the CCCG program, you must:

  1. Attend Full Time
  2. Receive Cal Grant B or C
  3. Maintain minimum of 2.00 cumulative GPA
  4. Maintain federal Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.

How do I apply?

You will automatically be considered for this grant if you have been awarded Cal Grant.

Chafee Grant

The Chafee Grant is a federally funded program designed for undergraduate students who are current or former foster youth and may be used for career, technical training, or college courses. Funding is subject to availability of Federal funds each year. To be considered for the Chafee Grant, students must complete the FAFSA and Chafee Grant application.

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for a California Chafee Grant. You do not have to repay these funds once you have been granted. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. The grant is in addition to any other state or federal aid and you may receive as much as $5,000.00 per school year.

To qualify, you must:

  • Be eligible, or have been eligible, for foster care between your 16th and 18th birthday
  • Not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1, or the award year

The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status.

How do I apply?

To apply, submit two forms:

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). File online at (Undocumented students may contact the Commission for further instructions.)
  • California Chafee Grant Program Application. Submit a paper copy or an online application to the Commission.

For more information please visit or call the Commission at: 1-888-224-7268 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:50 p.m.

You must stay in school to keep your Chafee Grant! If you enroll in classes and get paid grant money based on eligibility and enrollment, be sure to let us know if you are dropping classes prior to doing so. Dropping a class can cause your status to go into repayment. If you owe grant money back to the school, all additional financial aids funds may be suspended until repayment is made.

You must maintain a cumulative at.A. of 2.0 or better and the ratio of classes completed must be a t least 75%. If you do not maintain these standards, your financial aid may be suspended.

If you have questions regarding your status, please contact Vivian Quiros Hickey at (916) 558-2045; or the Financial Aid Office at (916) 558-2501.

AmeriCorps Education Award

The AmeriCorps Education Award is a post-service benefit given to individuals who complete a term of national service in approved AmeriCorps programs.  It is named after Eli Segal, a pioneer of national service and the first CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS).

The funds may be used to pay educational costs at eligible post-secondary institutions, including many technical schools and G.I. Bill approved programs, or to repay qualified students loans (to holder of loan).  The dollar amount of the is equal to the maximum amount of the U.S. Department of Education Pell Grant and may change year to year.

Students must use the My AmeriCorps portal to manage their Education Award.

Note: Loan payments made with the Education Award are part of the member’s taxable income. Interest payments are also considered taxable income.