- Merit scholarships are based on the student’s achievements in various areas like athletics and academic interests, to name a few.
- School scholarships are given to students by the school they attend. They can be associated with a specific field of study or students interests at that institution.
- Work scholarships require a student to earn their award by working.
- Field of Study scholarships are awarded to students who are pursuing a specific field of study.
- Need scholarships are based on the student meeting specific financial need criteria. Some scholarship competitions use a Federal Financial Need formula.
- Student-Specific scholarships can be based on a student’s nationality, gender, race, religion, medical history and other student-specific factors.
A scholarship is a sum of money granted to a student to help further their education.
Scholarships come from various sources like a school, organization, or other private source. Every scholarship has specific requirements and deadlines that have to be met to qualify. Here are a few examples:
- AAUW Sacramento (CA) Branch (5 @ $2,000) – Sac County resident, woman 25 and older, enrolled in any Los Rios Community College or CSUS. Deadline: March 2, 2020
- Benjamin A. Gilman International (up to $5,000) – US undergrads who might otherwise not study abroad due to financial constraints. Deadline: Term-Based
- Bosterbio ($1000) – students pursuing or continuing a 4-year academic program related to Biology Technology. Deadline: May 31, 2020
- Brightech ($500) – FT or PT at an accredited university or high school during 2019-2020. 1,000 Word essay about STEM required. Deadline: Dec. 31, 2019
- Brightech ($1,000) – FT or PT at an accredited university or high school during 2019-2020. Picture/Video description of creative, innovative and unique project that uses a magnifier lamp. Deadline: Dec. 31, 2019
- Campervan Finder ($2,500) – Full Time, passion for Travel & Business, 2.0/4.0 GPA. Essay required. Deadline: January 1st & June 30th (every year)
- EduMed ($500) – support undergraduate higher education in the medical and allied health fields. Deadline: Mar. 31, 2020
- Honey Lake Hospice Annual Scholarship ($1,500) – Northern California (Sacramento and above), minimum 2.5 GPA, field of nursing, medicine or related health care at an accredited 2 year or 4 year College or University. Deadline: March 15 annually
- Horatio Alger Assoc of Distinguished Americans (up to $2,500) – Commitment to pursue career or technical certificate/degree. Deadline: September 27, 2019
- Julie Queler Foundation ($1,000) – HS Senior accepted to College or College Student, 500 word essay. Deadline: August 1, 2020
- LasikPlus ($2,500) – Essay regarding desire and ability to bring their vision to life through continuing education and community involvement. Deadline: Dec. 21, 2019
- MusicAuthority’s Music Lovers ($1,000) – All full time students eligible to apply. Essay required. Deadline: April 1, 2020
- SeniorAdvice Caregiver ($2,000) – Student who has been a caregiver for a senior friend or relative and will be attending college or university in the Spring of 2020. Deadline: Jan. 15, 2020
Scholarship Opportunities for AB-540 Students
Scholarship Search Engines
You should never have to pay for a scholarship. The following search engines may be helpful in seeking out scholarships that may interest you: