There are several ways tax filers can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and other IRS Transcripts, most of which DO NOT involve payment of a FEE to the IRS. Some methods take longer for processing than others.
The Letter of Non-Filing is not available from the IRS until June 15th for each tax year.
Plese note: If this is the only document that is pending on your financial aid file, you will still receive your first disbursement the first week of school – if you submit your Letter of Non-Filing by July 15, 2018 for the 2018-2019 academic year.
What Kind of Tax Documents Will I Need?
If you are selected for Verification, we will be requesting documentation verifying your household income. IF you and/or your parents use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA application to transfer your income tax information directly from the IRS, we will not require a physical copy of your Tax Return Transcripts.
For those ineligible to use the Data Retrieval Tool, we may require certain documents:
For Tax Filers
- Tax Return Transcripts or a signed copy of the income tax return if you are an Independent Student.
- If married, and your spouse has filed taxes separately, you must also provide their Tax Return Transcript or their signed copy of their income tax return.
- If requested by your file processor, you must also provide your Wage and Income Transcript or a copy of IRS Form W-2, or an equivalent document, for each source of employment income received.
- If you are a Dependent Student and you did not earn income or file taxes, we will require only your parent’s Tax Return Transcripts
For non-Tax Filers
- If you reported earning income on the FAFSA but are not going to file, please provide your IRS Wage and Income Transcript, W-2’s, and/or Written Statement of Business Income.
- If you reported ‘Will File’ on the FAFSA but are not planning to do so, please provide a Letter of Non-Filing to accompany your IRS Wage and Income Transcript or W-2’s
- If you did not earn taxable income, or file taxes and indicated as such on the FAFSA application, you must provide a Verification Worksheet – Independent Worksheet, or a Verification Worksheet – Dependent if you are a Dependent Student. Both forms are available through your eServices To Do list if required.