Requesting an IRS Transcript

There are several ways tax filers can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and other IRS Transcripts, most of which DO NOT involve payment of a FEE to the IRS.  Some methods take longer for processing than others.

Download a PDF explaining how to obtain your IRS Tax Transcript.

Letter of Non-Filing

The Letter of Non-Filing is not available from the IRS until June 15th for each tax year.

Plese noteIf this is the only document that is pending on your financial aid file, you will still receive your first disbursement the first week of school – if you submit your Letter of Non-Filing by July 15, 2019 for the 2019-2020 academic year.

What Kind of Tax Documents Will I Need?

If you are selected for Verification, we will be requesting documentation verifying your household income.  IF you and/or your parents use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA application to transfer your income tax information directly from the IRS, we will not require a physical copy of your Tax Return Transcripts.

For those ineligible to use the Data Retrieval Tool, we may require certain documents:

For Tax Filers

  • Tax Return Transcripts or a signed copy of the income tax return if you are an Independent Student.
  • If married, and your spouse has filed  taxes separately, you must also provide their Tax Return Transcript or their signed copy of their income tax return.
  • If requested by your file processor, you must also provide your Wage and Income Transcript or a copy of IRS Form W-2, or an equivalent document, for each source of employment income received.
  • If you are a Dependent Student and you did not earn income or file taxes, we will require only your parent’s Tax Return Transcripts

For non-Tax Filers

  • If you reported earning income on the FAFSA but are not going to file, please provide your IRS Wage and Income Transcript, W-2’s, and/or Written Statement of Business Income.
  • If you reported ‘Will File’ on the FAFSA but are not planning to do so, please provide a Letter of Non-Filing to accompany your IRS Wage and Income Transcript or W-2’s
  • If you did not earn taxable income, or file taxes and indicated as such on the FAFSA application, you must provide a  Verification Worksheet – Independent Worksheet, or a Verification Worksheet – Dependent if you are a  Dependent Student.  Both forms are available through your eServices To Do list if required.