International students may attend SCC to:

  • Obtain an Associate’s Degree,
  • Obtain General Education to Transfer to a University, or
  • Obtain an Associate’s Degree, General Education, and Transfer to a University.

The International Application Packet is divided into two parts

Both Part I and II are required.

Part I. Los Rios Application for Admission

Complete an SCC Online Application.

A social security number is not required to complete the application.

Print the confirmation page and submit with the application packet.

Part II. SCC International Student Application Packet

All Non-English documents must be accompanied by an English Translation.

Packet requirements listed below (Download: international admission requirements (PDF).)

  1. F-1 Student Data Form (PDF)  Complete (must be typed), sign, and submit form.
  2. Evidence of English proficiency (must meet ONE of the following)
    Official score report must be sent directly from the testing company to Sacramento City College. (No photo copy)

    • Official TOEFL Score: 60 (iBT) 173 (cBT) or 500 (ITP).  Visit TOEFL for test centers, dates, and fees. Use SCC institutional code #4670 to order.
    • PTE-Pearson Test of English (Score: 39)
    • IELTS (Score: 6.0)
    • STEP Eiken (Score: 2A) Japan
    • SCC ESL Assessment Test (ESL 310 or higher)
    • Official U.S. college transcript showing successful completion of college-level English (determined by SCC)
  3. Financial support
    Official bank letter verifying $29,000 USD for one year of study. $3,000 is required for each additional dependent. If you have a U.S. sponsor, submit USCIS Affidavit of Support Form I-134 (PDF) and supporting documents. ONLY original bank letter within 6 months of instructional start date is accepted. (NO photocopy).
  4. a)Copy of high school diploma and official high school transcripts No scanned or photocopied transcripts will be accepted. (If you are currently in your final year of high school, request a letter signed by your Principal certifying the expected graduation month, date and year.) Be sure to request a final document to verify completion.
    b)Official college transcripts (if applicable). Overseas college transcripts must be evaluated by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE) .
  5. $50.00 non-refundable application fee payable to “Sacramento City College” in a form of a check, money order or cashier’s check (do not send cash) payable by a United States bank.  Print the student’s name on the face of the check including the SCC ID#, if available. Applications will not be processed without a receipt of payment.
  6. One small photograph (passport size) with your name printed on the back.

TRANSFER-IN F-1 STUDENTS who have been attending school in the U.S. are required to submit the additional items #7-9 below.

  1. Verification of F-1 Status Form completed by your current school (current school can email or student can submit the original)
  2. Copy of I-94, U.S. VISA, and Passport (bring the original passport & visa to the office to be verified)
  3. Copies of all previous I-20 forms

Pre-enrollment Requirements

  • Health Insurance
    Submit to SCC International Student Center with coverage date.  JCB Insurance Solutions
  • Tuberculosis Test
    Can be taken at SCC Health Services. Pay $5 at the SCC Business Office and bring the receipt to SCC Health Services.

Application Review Process

Once all required documents have been received and reviewed, ISC will contact you with a final decision. If admitted you will receive:

  • Acceptance Letter
    You can now pay your I-901 Fee and make an appointment at your US Embassy for your F-1 Visa application interview.
  • SEVIS I-20

Important Information for Applicants

  • We highly recommend utilizing a local US contact to assist you with expediting your acceptance package  (includes your SEVIS I-20) mailing since we only have access to standard USPO mailing.
  • You must give us written permission to allow others to be included in your application process and communications. This included the expedited mail option above.
  • Look up our degree majors so that you have the correct information to include on your ISC application. Note: All students must declare a major; you cannot use “Undecided”.
  • If you are under age 18 when school officially starts, you will need to submit a legal document called a Power of Attorney. A Power of Attorney (POA) for minor can be used by parents or guardians to allow a temporary caretaker to make certain decisions for their minor child over a period of time. We must receive the original POA, but it will be returned.
  • The ISC accepts US transferring F-1 VISA students that are in Good Status only under their current school’s SEVIS I-20.
  • B-1/B-2 Visa: Visitors arriving in the U.S. after April 12, 2002 have some restrictions to become a valid F-1 status within the U.S. Please check the following USCIS website or before traveling to the US, contact American Consulate “with the intent to study as a prospective student” before entering the U.S. We highly recommend  contacting a U.S. Immigration Lawyer. Please contact the ISC and schedule an appointment to discuss possible options.
  • SCC – ISC does not provide legal advice on obtaining or changing your F-1 VISA status, please check with appropriate legal/government agencies.
  • To review SCC majors, courses, and transfer information go to our college catalog.
  • SCC does not evaluate foreign transcripts for course waivers or transfer credits. If you need evaluation services we recommend that you contact the National Association of Credential Evaluations Services (NACES) or Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE) , which is a membership organization for credential evaluation services. Their website provides a listing of member evaluation services. We cannot recommend an individual company for this service. Translated and/or evaluated transcripts must come in a sealed envelope from the company you used.
  • International students cannot apply for Financial Aid in the U.S. and we currently do not have other resource to assist new or new transfer students with their financial requirements.
  • F-1 VISA students have strict employment guidelines. Working in the US under a F-1 VISA is prohibited except under certain conditions. The ISC Counselor can discuss these options with you when requested.
  • The Los Rios Community College District does not have dorms or housing services. Please check local Sacramento rental or housing agencies for assistance.

  • English Proficiency

  • Estimated Expenses

    The estimated expenses for a single international student is based upon 24 units for one academic year (two (2) semesters.

    No Payment is made outright to the college in advance. You… MORE >>

  • F-1 VISA

    SCC International Student Center (ISC) provides information on our application process to become an international student and obtain a SEVIS I-20 allowing you to apply… MORE >>

  • Transfer in Students


    Follow the same Admission Process (areas I, II, and #1-6) on the Admission page. Transferring students who have been attending school in the U.S. are also required to submit the following… MORE >>

  • From/To Mexico

    Entry into Mexico

    Mexican tourist cards or visas are required of all persons wishing to visit Mexico. Tourist cards/visas are obtained at the Mexican Consulate. Tourist cards are normally processed… MORE >>

  • From/To Canada

    Students coming from Canada

    It is very common for students traveling from Canada to the US, especially those driving, to simply “cross the border” without giving thought to what might… MORE >>