From/To Mexico

Entry into Mexico

Mexican tourist cards or visas are required of all persons wishing to visit Mexico. Tourist cards/visas are obtained at the Mexican Consulate. Tourist cards are normally processed within one hour: visas may take a little longer. Some visas are free; for others, there is a charge. Some visas require three photos. For information on tourist cards/visas and the documents required to obtain them, contact the Mexican Consulate in Sacramento at 1010 8 Street (comer of 8 Street and ‘J” Street). Phone: 916-441-3287.

F-1 nonimmigrant who visit Mexico for less than 30 days, have maintained a lawful nonimmigrant status in the U.S., and intend to resume that status upon return must keep Form l-94 (the small white card in the passport known the arrival/departure record) when crossing the border and present it as one of the documents required for re-entry to the U.S. (This “automatic visa revalidation” is applicable case-by-case upon re-entry.  It is not recommended to travel if the F-1 visa expired.  There is not visa revalidation to nationals of Iran, Iraq, and Libya.)


Re-Entry into the U.S.

F-1 status. Upon return to the U.S., you must show the U.S. Immigration Inspector:

  1. Form I-94;
  2. a valid SEVIS I-20 document (either a new Certificate of Eligibility for    Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status, or a properly endorsed page 4.) An endorsed page 4 is valid for one year from the date of the endorsement for absences of less than 5 months.
  3. a valid passport

An Immigration Inspector or Customs Agent may still ask to see evidence of financial support for the total duration of stay in the U.S. It is strongly advised that F-1 nonimmigrant carry such evidence with them.

If you plan to drive in the area between San Clemente, CA and the Mexican border, you should have your passport and other documents with you as you may- be stopped at an Immigration checkpoint near. San Onofre, CA.