Work Authorization for Non-Immigrants in Lawful Status

 On-Campus employment for F-1 Students

  • Limited to 20 hours or less per week but may be full-time during vacation.
  • Must be enrolled full-time (12 units).
  • Must be in good academic standing.
  • May work only for SCC or off-campus sites designated as “educationally affiliated by contract”.  Please consult with SCC.
  • International students are not eligible for “work study” positions.  For information about available on-campus (student help) job, go to SCC Job Services, RN-147.
  • Work authorization is incidental to status.  Specific. US. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) approval is not required for on-campus employment.
  • Employment eligibility ends after completion of studies except for employment authorized under optional practical training or if the student has been issued a new I-20 for a new program.

Curricular Practical Training for F-1 Students

  • Student must have been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year
  • Work must be related/integral part to your listed SCC major.  Also, CPT Work Experience class must carry academic credit and/or be listed in the SCC College catalog in the major requirement.
  • Student must maintain 12 units while on CPT and Work Experience course units maybe counted in the 12 units.  https://www.scc.losrios.edu/workexperience/
  • Work is authorized by SCC on page 3 of the SEVIS I-20.
  • Students who complete one year or more of full-time CPT will not be eligible to pursue Optional Practical Training (OPT) at the same degree level.

 Optional Practical Training for F-1 Students

  • Student must have been in valid F-1 status for a minimum of 9 months.
  • Employment must be directly related to student’s academic field of study and commensurate with student’s educational level.
  • Employment is limited to 12 months per academic program.
  • Optional practical training must be applied for before the completion of academic program and needs to be completed within a 14 months period following completion of studies.
  • Full-time of part-time employment is available during
    • Vacation periods, if student is currently enrolled and intends to register for the next term, or
    • After completion of all course work, or
    • After completion of studies for Associate Degree or Career Certificate
  • Work is authorized by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) on an Employment Authorization Card (EAD).

Employment based on economic hardship:

  • Student must establish need caused by documenting unforeseen circumstance beyond control.
  • Student must have made a ‘good faith” effort to locate on-campus employment.
  • Must be in good academic standing.
  • Must be a full-time student.
  • Work limited to 20 hours/week except during vacation periods.

Work authorization is awarded in one-year intervals by USCIS (must be documented) on an EAD.  It is renewable if the need continues to exist and the student is maintaining full-time status.

 F-2 Spouse or Children under 21

Non-immigrants in F-2 status may not work in the U.S., not even on campus.