Peer tutors do the following:
- Assist student in reviewing and clarifying information covered in class.
- Assist students in improving their study skills for the subjects tutored.
- Assist students in achieving subject mastery.
Applicants who are hired must take a one-unit tutor training course (LTAT 310) unless they have already earned a Bachelor’s Degree or completed formal tutor training in the past, and must be available periodically for additional in-service training.
Peer tutors currently earn minimum wage with increases that are inline with the CA minimum wage increases; tutors must be continuously enrolled in at least 6 units at the Los Rios Community College District in order to be paid for their tutoring services.
The LSTC is looking for applicants who meet the following requirements:
- Are in good standing with the college.
- Have an overall GPA of 3.0.
- Have passed the courses they wish to tutor with grades of “A” or “B”.
- Have good, informal English speaking skills.
- Are patient with others and like helping people.
- Demonstrate sensitivity toward and respect for diverse backgrounds of other students.
- Can obtain faculty recommendations for the courses they wish to tutor.