Online tutoring is available through the LSTC!
All SCC students can benefit from online tutoring. You do not need to be enrolled in an online class to get online tutoring.
LSTC Online Tutoring
NetTutor Online Tutoring
- The LSTC provides FREE online tutoring to all SCC students, whether taking face-to-face, hybrid, or online classes.
- Students need to be registered with the LSTC and be enrolled in the free course HSER 1000 (Section 17346 for fall 2019) in order to be able to access online tutoring services. There are no units, no grades for this class; and it will not appear on your transcript. It is basically for data purposes.
Online Tutoring Hours
Appointments with SCC peer tutors are available whenever the LSTC is open.
Please call us at 916-558-2258 for more information.
You can also get online tutoring through NetTutor, a service that is provided free to SCC students. If NetTutor is enabled for your class, it will be in the left-hand navigation on the Canvas page for your class.
If NetTutor is not enabled for your class, you can self-enroll in our Canvas shell for NetTutor. Self-enroll doesn’t work well with the Canvas app. Use a browser on your phone or computer, like Chrome or Safari. Here is the link to copy and paste: https://lrccd.instructure.com/enroll/PKE4EX
Steps to Receive Online Tutoring
1. Check Technical Requirements
To use online tutoring, you MUST have the following:
a) A smartphone with the Zoom app.
b) A computer with a microphone and Internet access.
Optional: a webcam
Note: Most newer laptops have both built-in webcams and microphones, and most detachable webcams for desktop computers have built-in microphones. If you don’t have either of these devices, they can be purchased individually at major retailers for a relatively inexpensive price.
2. Set Up an Online Appointment
3. Connect with a Tutor
- After you schedule your online tutoring session, you will receive an email from the LSTC with instructions on how to set up for the online tutoring appointment.
- Go through the steps to set up your computer or device for the session. This may include downloading and installing an app or plug-in.
- Do this well in advance in case it takes more time than you anticipate.
- Your tutor will call you about 5-10 minutes before the start time for your appointment to ensure you are all set.
- At the time of the appointment, click on the link in the email to connect!