Nursing Program FAQ

Application Process & General Information

Online Application Process

I submitted my application online. Is this all I need to do to complete the application process?

No. All new applicants must print and submit their application cover page AND the documents noted at the bottom of the page as directed. Applications will not be processed until all application materials are received. DO NOT submit the application cover page separately from the required support documents.

I submitted my application online, but do not have the support documents that I need to attach. I requested official transcripts from my college and they may not be available by the application deadline date. What do I do?

We suggest that students request necessary transcripts as soon as possible. The nursing program will not process applications for students that do not enclose them with their cover page by the deadline. The nursing program will process applications with unofficial transcripts. Once admitted the student is required to submit official transcripts to Admissions and Records.

I am unable to download the nursing application. What do I do?

Beginning with the fall 2010 nursing program enrollment, students must complete their application online. Students should review the Online Application Guidelines for Nursing and the Nursing Program information tutorial before getting started.

I forgot to print or lost my cover page. How do I get a new cover page?

A cover page may be retrieved on the applicant status page. The Online Application Status sheet explains how to check your application status. A new cover page may be obtained by clicking on “Retrieve Cover Page” (indicated in blue) on the online applicant status page. Click on the link and you may view and print a new cover page.

I need to submit supporting documentation with my cover page. Do I have the information mailed to Sacramento City College (SCC) or directly to the Nursing Department?

Students must submit support documents along with their application cover page to:
Nursing Department in Mohr Hall Room 18
3835 Freeport Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95822

I completed English Writing (ENGWR) 300 (or equivalent freshman writing course), does that mean I meet the reading requirement?

No, students have one of three ways to meet the reading eligibility. During spring 2010, the Academic Senate has concluded in a Memo of Understanding, that all Reading Eligibility assessment scores are transferrable throughout the Los Rios Community College District (LRCCD). Students are encouraged to see a counselor to confirm eligibility for the reading requirement. The Reading Competency examination is a SCC graduation requirement and not an application requirement. There is 3 year recency for assessment results. If you tested below English Reading (EngRd) competency level, make sure the assessment test has been taken within the last 3 years.

Evidence of Reading Eligibility may be completed in one of three ways:

  • Completion of ENGRD 110 or comparable or higher level course with a grade of “C” or better.
  • Recommendation of eligibility through the LRCCD assessment process. This requires completing one of the following assessment tests at an LRCCD College: CTEP exam at ARC, CRC, or FLC OR Accuplacer at SCC. Students must also achieve a score indicating placement in ENGRD 310/312 at the time the test was completed.
  • Possession of an Associate of Arts/Associate of Science degree or higher from a regionally accredited college in the United States.

Do I need to send my transcripts to the college after I submit my online application with supporting documentation for the ADN program?

You do not need to submit the additional documentation at the time of application. Only submit what the Cover page requests. You should, however, have all the required materials available in case you are invited to submit all required documentation. If you have attended a regionally approved U.S. college/university, you should order an official transcript(s). Have the transcript sent to your home because if you are invited to submit documentation, everything must be submitted at one time. Once accepted into the SCC nursing program, you will need to submit all transcripts to Admissions and Records.

The grade for one of my prerequisites is Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit. How do I enter the grade in the online application?

A “pass” or “credit” will be assigned a “C” grade by the nursing department; select “C” in the grade drop down menu. A “C” grade will be used in the science/non-science GPA calculation.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Please note: LRCCD does not factor in “+” or “-” grades into GPA. The basic formula is “Grade Points” divided by “Attempted Units” = GPA. Grade Points are determined by using the following values: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1 and F=0. Multiply the value for the letter grade received by the number of units for that class. Example: if you earned a “B” in a 4 unit class—you have earned 12 grade points (3 X 4). Classes taken on a “Credit/No Credit” or “Pass/No Pass” basis do not have attempted units or grade points—only classes with a letter grade have these. (Units earned for a class with “Credit” or “Pass” are counted only in “Completed Unit” totals. See Figuring Your Grade Point Average Worksheet.

Units AttemptedUnits CompletedGradeGrade Points
Class 13.03.0A (4)12.0
Class 24.04.0C (2)8.0
Class 30.02.0P0.0

So the cumulative GPA would be 20/7 which is 2.857

I have Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Credit for some of my prerequisite coursework. Where do I send my official score reports? How do I enter the grade in the online application?

As for your score reports, they must be sent directly to the SCC Nursing Office, Mohr Hall 18,   3835 Freeport Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95822.To submit your scores with your cover page, you     will need to go to the quick question counselor desk and ask to have a copy of the report printed from the SCC database system for you. Attach this copy to your cover page as verification of meeting the prerequisite requirement. Upon getting admitted to SCC, you will also need to send your scores to Admissions and Records.

No matter the AP or IB test score, students will be assigned a “C” grade. Therefore, select “C” in the grade drop down menu. Students will need to use the “z- Petitions and Waivers” on the External Credit page. A “C” grade will be used in calculation of the science/non-science GPA calculation. Please refer the Question above regarding GPA calculation.

I am a new applicant. Why aren’t some of my prerequisite courses auto-filling into the application? I took the courses at a college in the Los Rios Community College District.

Did you complete the coursework prior to 1993? If so, these courses will not auto-fill into the application. Students will need to use the “z-LRCCD Courses prior to 93” selection in the drop down menu on the External Credits page. Further details about this process are noted in the on-line tutorial “How to Transfer External Credits on your Online Nursing Application Tutorial.”

I was not eligible to apply to the SCC nursing program. How can I improve my chances of being eligible in the future?

You may consider re-taking some of your pre-requisite courses at a college outside of the LRCCD to improve your GPA. If you received a passing grade you are not allowed to re-take courses within our district. To improve your TEAS scores you may need to do some remediation. First get the TEAS study manual for pointers on what you need to review. Consider taking a class in the area you scored low in, such as BIO 100 or 102, ENGRD 310 or 312, or a basic math class. Utilize math review software located in our computer lab in Mohr Hall. Schedule an appointment with a counselor in the Counseling Department for additional guidance.

How will I know that my application was processed?

Students can view the status of their application after it has been submitted by logging onto the Online Application status page. You can access the status page logging on to the eService. For further instructions please view the Online Application Status link located on the nursing website. Do not call or email the SCC Allied Health Division office or Nursing Dept. regarding the status of your application.

General Information

Do I have to be enrolled at SCC to apply?

No you do not have to be enrolled at SCC to apply to the nursing program, but you must have student ID # to fill out your application through eServices. Therefore, you must apply to the district at Click on Admissions in the left column.

Do I really have to have all my prerequisites completed before applying?

Yes. All prerequisites must be completed before applying.

I’ve taken Anatomy and Physiology online. Do you accept online lab classes?

No, SCC does not accept online lab courses.

Should I get my CPR certification, immunizations, physical exam, and malpractice insurance before I apply?

This is not required prior to application. At the nursing orientation you will get instruction on what is required prior to beginning the program and the process you must follow.

Can I apply with my last few graduation requirements in progress?

No. This means that you must have all your pre-requisites completed before you apply. It is highly recommended that all co-requisites and graduation requirements are also completed before starting the nursing program due to rigor of the program and study time required to be successful. This may become a program requirement in the near future. Please check with a counselor to make sure you meet graduation competencies in Math.

Is there a pre-requisite recency requirement for the Associate Degree Program or the Vocational Nursing Program?

There are NO recency requirements for the pre-requisites for the Associate Degree Nursing Program or for the Vocational Nursing Programs.

What if my application is not complete?

The enrollment application must be completed in its entirety or it will not be processed and you will not receive your confirmation of eligibility to apply.

How long does the Associate Degree Nursing Program take to complete? Does it include summer school?

The Associate Degree Nursing Program is a two year program offered over four semesters with no summer school.

What is the TEAS test?

The test is a standardized assessment test for pre nursing candidates in the areas of Reading, Mathematics, Science, English and language usage. SCC uses the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) latest edition from Assessment Technology Institute (ATI). This assessment test is a pre-requisite of the nursing program and costs $45. Students must have a credit card to purchase their TEAS test online during their assessment testing appointment.

Is there a new TEAS being released?

Yes, on August 31, 2016 Assessment Technologies Institute, LLC (ATI) will be releasing the new assessment/readiness test, called the ATI TEAS. The TEAS V will be retired at that time. Students taking the exam on or after August 31 will need to purchase the sixth edition of the TEAS Study Manual.

What if I took the test prior to August 31, 2016 and I need to retest?

Because of the content updates that occurred for the ATI TEAS, the TEAS V preparation materials will not provide the tester with a comprehensive overview of the topics assessed. Individuals preparing for the ATI TEAS will want to purchase the ATI TEAS preparation materials. Students taking the exam on or after August 31st will need to purchase the sixth edition of the TEAS Study Manual.

What is the difference between TEAS V and ATI TEAS?

The ATI TEAS will be similar in difficulty level to the TEAS V. Content updates were made to align with current education standards deemed important for entry level health science applicants to possess. There is an overview of TEAS content at:

Can I use a calculator on the new ATI TEAS?

The ATI TEAS, being released August 31, 2016, will allow for the use of a four function calculator. Please do not bring your own calculator as a calculator will be embedded within the online version of the exam. For paper pencil versions of the TEAS test, the testing center will provide a four-function calculator. Calculator use is not allowed when taking the TEAS V, as at the time of its development, the decision to allow calculator use was not part of the outlined standardized testing environment. The standardized testing environment needs to be maintained for all testers taking the TEAS V.

How often are applications accepted for the RN Program? How about for the VN program?

Beginning with the spring 2013 application period for fall 2013 enrollment, there will be only one enrollment period per year selected in February-March. SCC AND program will be selecting both the fall and spring classes from the spring applicant pool. Applications for the LVN to RN Career Mobility Program are available during spring semester.

Do I need to see a counselor if I am a transfer or returning student to the SCC program?

All transfer, returning, and career mobility nursing students are required to meet with a counselor to review program progress.

Can I apply to the nursing program if I have a criminal/conviction history?

In accordance with the CA BRN and the CA BVNPT, a person convicted of any offense other than a minor traffic violation, may not qualify to be licensed as a nurse. All convictions must be reported. Students with a criminal background may not be allowed to attend a clinical facility if the offense is determined to be significant enough to warrant denial by the facility. If a student is not allowed into the clinical facility, he/she will not be able to meet the objectives of the nursing program. Furthermore, when nursing graduates apply for licensure they must submit fingerprints which are analyzed and must be cleared prior to granting a license to practice nursing. Students with criminal histories are strongly encouraged to consider this information prior to applying to the program.

Can I still apply if I have a disability?

Yes you can. A student must have the disability documented from our SCC Disability Resource Center. Contact DSPS for further details.

I’ve been offered a space in the program, now what?

Students officially offered a space in the program will be sent an email (SCC email address only). Students will be required to either accept or decline their space in the program by a specified deadline. Further instructions will be given to the student during their nursing orientation.

I was notified that I am an alternate to the program. What does that mean?

Being an alternate means that all spaces have been filled. If a qualified applicant declines their space in the program, students on the alternate list will be contacted. We do not maintain the alternate list after classes start. Alternates who are not offered a space in the program will need to reapply.

Do I need a Social Security Number (SSN) to apply to the program?

Yes. Hospitals and other clinical settings require that SCC nursing students have completed a criminal background clearance. In addition, a SSN is required for students accepted to the program will be required to provide a copy of the Social Security Card. For more details: 33.pdf

After reading the above information and meeting with a SCC counselor, who do I contact if I still have questions?

After reading all the information provided on the ADN web site and after meeting with a SCC counselor if you still have questions, please attend one of our scheduled information sessions held in the nursing department. For details go our nursing website and click Informational Meeting for the next available Nursing Information session. If you still have questions after attending one of the information sessions you may email your questions to

I have finished my degree (AA, AS, BA, BS) but it has not posted to my academic records yet. May I still receive the 5 points in Criterion 1?

No. In order to receive points for a degree, the degree must be posted to your academic record and a copy of college transcript is required as supporting documentation.

If I have a degree from a foreign country, will I receive admission points for having this degree?

SCC does not evaluate foreign transcripts nor is credit granted for foreign coursework. Students with a degree (AA/AS, BA/BS, or higher) from a school outside the U.S. must have their foreign transcript evaluated by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency. The evaluation must specify equivalency to an AA/AS or a BA/BS or higher from a U.S. regionally accredited college. The NACES evaluation will be used ONLY to award points as part of the ADN admission criteria.

Do you keep a waiting list for admission to the next semester?

No. Students who are not offered a space in the program will need to reapply during the next application period.

What are the costs of the nursing program?


  • $2208 enrollment fees ($46 x 48 units)
  • $115 for drug screen (urine), background check, immunization tracker
  • $50.00 – CPR with AED – Health Provider “C”
  • $2800.00 – approx costs for uniforms, shoes, supplies, books (4 semesters)
  • $450 BRN application, IP, NCLEX, graduation costs (including $25 stole)
  • $30.00 Malpractice Insurance
  • $40.00 – LiveScan fingerprinting
  • $156 Physical Exam, Immunizations including flu shot – own health care provider

START = $3900 + enrollment fees access to computer, ink/paper, printer, internet TOTAL PROGRAM COSTS = $5863

All fees are paid in the Business Office. Financial aid and numerous scholarships are available for nursing students. Because it takes months to process, please apply for financial aid early. Go to Financial Aid for FAFSA application for details. The amount of financial aid is based on the number of units taken each semester.

Can Sociology 300 (SOC 300) be substituted for Sociology 321 (SOC 321)?

A student may use a SOC 300 course to apply to the RN program if they can prove they have met the Ethnic/Multicultural Studies Requirement. A substitution General Education Equivalency Form must be submitted at the time of application proving the applicant has met the General Education (GE) Ethnic/Multicultural Studies Graduation Requirement through another course. The equivalency form, completed by a counselor, must be submitted with the application. If you have completed a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, no further verification is needed. If you have an Associate’s degree from the Los Rios Community College District, no further verification is needed.

Last updated November 2017.