Portrait and Wedding Photography Contacts
The Portrait and Wedding Certificate will provide photographic skills, visual aesthetics, and small business foundations to establish a portraiture photography studio or work as a photographer or manager in a larger studio. Areas covered include personal/family portraiture and wedding and event photography. Students will learn techniques to pose and work with models and clients, use strobe equipment and available lighting techniques, work with professionals in the field, and design their own portfolios. Business strategies, self promotion, and work-flow methods will also be covered.
Career opportunities include wedding or portrait photographer, studio assistant, studio photographer, freelance photographer, or lab manager.
Recommended High School Preparation
Students should take courses in art, English, journalism, basic photography, graphic arts.
In addition to the normal student expenses (for textbooks, personal equipment, and supplies,) digital print materials fees may be required. These fees may vary each semester. If these fees create a financial burden, students should consult the Financial Aid Office for possible assistance.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate advanced camera functions and techniques associated with their use.
- demonstrate a thorough knowledge of current computer software and digital imaging skills as these apply to photography.
- execute a wide range of technical and creative lighting solutions.
- develop and expand a personal style with pre visualization conceptualization skills.
- survey history, careers, styles, and trends in professional portraiture and wedding photography.
- develop a small business plan and organizational structure.
- develop a marketing plan, materials, and support process.
- demonstrate post-production technical and creative solutions for wedding packages.
Certificate of Achievement (COA)
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grade of “C” or better or equivalent.