Political Science Contacts
Department Chairperson: Rosamaria Tanghetti
Counseling Liaison: Diane Belair
Associate in Arts for Transfer
This program is designed to provide a clearly articulated curricular track for Sacramento City College students preparing for seamless transfer in Political Science at the California State University while also serving the diverse needs of students interested in the breadth and depth of the field. This program will expose students to some of the principles and techniques of political science and help students build a foundation for their personal, academic, or professional interests.
Sacramento City College offers a unique political science experience that combines both the science and art of politics that can only be appreciated in the heart of California’s capital. Faculty provide a strong orientation to the world of politics by blending theory and real-world activities, which students will value throughout their academic and professional careers.
The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) student completion requirements (as stated in SB1440 law):
(1) Completion of a minimum of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
(A) The California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
(B) A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
(2) Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0. ADTs also require that students must earn a “C” or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of political science and governance.
- examine and apply theories, concepts, and practices in political theory.
- demonstrate a knowledge of contemporary systems and governments.
- analyze world politics and diplomacy in the international system.
- analyze, investigate, and compare ideological approaches to governmental systems.
- demonstrate knowledge of practical applications and evaluations of policy outcomes in a civic culture.
- analyze political theory and concepts using critical thinking skills.
- research specific topics of discussion in local, state, national, and international politics.
- demonstrate knowledge of basic research methods and applications.
- apply appropriate technology in the field of political science.
- demonstrate knowledge and competence in writing, analysis, and preparation of media release.
Associate in Arts for Transfer Degree
The Associate in Arts in Political Science for Transfer (AA-T) degree may be obtained by completion of 60 transferable, semester units with a minimum 2.0 GPA, including (a) the major or area of emphasis described in the Required Program, and (b) either the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.