Political Science Contacts
Department Chairperson: Rosamaria Tanghetti
Counseling Liaison: Diane Belair
Associate in Arts Degree
Sacramento City College offers a unique political science experience that combines both the science and arts of politics that can only be fully appreciated in the heart of California’s capital. Faculty provide a strong orientation to the world of politics by blending theory and real-world activities, which students will value throughout their academic and professional careers.
Completion of the degree will lead to professions in public or private sector in the areas of law, public relations, business, advocacy, lobbying, international relations, diplomacy, and academia. Completion of the degree will lead to opportunities in national, state, and local governments.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of political science and governance.
- examine and apply theories, concepts, and practices in political theory.
- demonstrate a knowledge of contemporary comparative systems and governments.
- analyze world politics and diplomacy in the international system.
- analyze, investigate, and compare ideological approaches to governmental systems.
- demonstrate knowledge of practical applications and evaluations of policy outcomes in civic culture.
- analyze political theory and concepts using critical thinking skills.
- research specific topics of discussion in local, state, national, and international politics.
- demonstrate knowledge of basic research methods and applications.
- apply appropriate technology in the field of political science.
- demonstrate knowledge and competence in writing, analysis, and preparation of media release.
Associate in Arts (A.A.) Degree
The Associate in Arts Degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.