Department Chairperson: Maria Regalado
Counseling Liaison: Shannon Gilley
Associate in Arts Degree
This degree program is designed to serve the needs of a wide variety of Sacramento City College students who are pursuing study in the field of psychology. The primary aim of this program is to provide a clearly articulated and comprehensive curricular track for students preparing to transfer to baccalaureate programs in psychology. An additional specific aim of this program is to expose “undecided” students to the core principles and practices of the field in order to build a foundation for their future personal, academic, or vocational paths. Among the many options, this foundation would be appropriate for entry into a variety of paraprofessional careers and careers in related fields.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- differentiate between scientifically derived knowledge and myth and conjecture about the topics of psychology and demonstrate understanding of the scientific method.
- compare and contrast the major perspectives and theories in psychology.
- demonstrate knowledge of basic psychological terminology regarding behavior, cognition, and emotion and be able to express this clearly when writing or speaking about psychology.
- integrate content knowledge, cognitive skills, and technical proficiency in completing exams, term papers, presentations, and other class assignments. These cognitive skills include: learning, memory, logical thinking, problem-solving, decision-making, and critical thinking.
- evaluate psychological data, draw reasonable conclusions, recognize the ethical implications of these conclusions, and apply these conclusions to personal, community, and scientific problems.
- apply psychological principles to the development of interpersonal, occupational, and social skills and life-long personal growth.
- recognize the complexity of social, cultural, and international diversity and the principles of equity, justice, and inclusion in his or her life.
Associate in Arts Degree (A.A.)
The Associate in Arts Degree may be obtained by completion of the required program, plus general education requirements, plus sufficient electives to meet a 60-unit total. See SCC graduation requirements.