This page will provide information about financial support. Students should also check the Library Scholarships page.
The Los Rios Student Emergency Fund (SEF) is intended to provide immediate financial assistance to students involved in a catastrophic or emergency situation involving circumstances which are sudden and unexpected. The purpose of the SEF is to assist students who are temporarily in need so that their continued academic progress towards a certificate, degree or transfer is not adversely affected by the emergency.
Below are guidelines used in determining eligibility:
- Student must be currently enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at any of the Los Rios colleges.
- Student must have completed at least one semester in good standing at any of the Los Rios colleges.
- Student must have identified and made progress toward an academic goal and not be on academic probation.
- Supportive documentation for emergencies is required, i.e. police report, obituary, auto diagnostic, rental agreement, etc.
Students do not have to be on CalWORKs nor do they have to participate in the college CalWORKs Program to apply.
Applications for the Student Emergency Fund are available in the CalWORKs Office, Temporary Building 1, Room 3.
2017 Office Hours: Monday thru Thursday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and Friday 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. Completed applications are submitted to the CalWORKs Office for processing. Approximate response to the application is 1 to 3 days.
Here are a few examples of applications that have been approved.
- $358 – for car repairs. Student was in last semester at SCC before graduating and transferring to CSUS. Student required driving car to school/vs public transportation. Justification must be included on application.
- $1,300—for housing/moving costs and first month’s rent. Student had to flee home due to domestic violence
- $400 – to travel to funeral—grandparents died in automobile accident
- $200 – to replace stolen books
- $650 – to replace stolen property from apartment
- $300 – to replace stolen bike and books from on campus
- $465 –replace funds stolen from student that were to be used to pay for her books
- $800—help pay for son’s funeral costs
Interested in attending Library School? Need a little financial advice?
Check out these useful articles: