Sacramento City College is a great place to start your higher education. Find information, tips, and strategies to help you have a successful first year in college.
Places to Eat
- Burgess Brothers’ BBQ & Burgers, 2114 Sutterville Road
- Espresso Metro (especially for coffee!), 2104 11th
- The Sandwich Spot, 2108 11th
- Raley’s Land Park (great sandwiches), 4850 Freeport Blvd.
- Chipotle, 4001 Freeport Blvd.
- You can buy sodas for less at the bookstore rather than the City Café
Learning Resource Center (LRC)
- The Learning Skills and Tutoring Center (offers individual and small group tutoring)
- The Writing Center
- Movies from Instructional Media (to borrow or check-out)
- Computer lab (another great place to do your homework)
- Ask about the wireless printing available for students
- Tables and computers
- Comfortable lounging area
- Study rooms you can reserve
- Class text books (find out if your classes have text books available for loan)
- Ask about the eBook service (you don’t need a Kindle or iPad)
- Quiet study area
Relax and De-Stress
- Go across Freeport Blvd. into Land Park. The duck pond is a nice setting for quiet time, except for all the quacking!
- The Zoo can even be a diversion if you need to think about something besides school!
- The Kondos Art Gallery (in the Fishbacher Fine Art Building) is a nice place to relax and enjoy art
- Check the events calendar for fun days on campus
Here Are Some Things We Didn’t Know Our First Semester
- There are microwaves for students to use located in the City Café (the SCC cafeteria)
- Your student ID card offers discounts at some of the local business (always ask about it!)
- The Student Center can be a great place for getting together with your friends (as long as there isn’t an event going on)
- Room 152 in the Business Building is a great computer lab—open to all students
- Room 153 in the Business Building is the Registration & Financial Aid lab. You can use these computers to register for classes and submit financial aid paperwork.
- Financial Aid kiosk in Rodda North – sign-up for a one-on-one appointment with a financial aid officer. Appointments are displayed on monitors in Rodda North AND in City Café
- There’s an ATM in Rodda North
- If you don’t live close to the SCC main campus, you can take all of your general education classes at either the Davis Center or the West Sacramento Center
- The earlier you arrive on campus, the more parking will be available (which usually means arrive before 8:00 a.m.).
- Not very many students know about the additional entrance onto campus—Freeport south to 12th east. This is the easiest and quickest way to enter into the main parking areas.
- There’s also an entrance from 24th St. to the parking structure (next to the light rail), but this entrance is closed on Saturdays.
Want more tips? Stop by the Student Services building Information Counter. This is where you will always find one of the Student Ambassadors. We would love to give you more of our tips!