Online tutoring works just like face-to-face tutoring.
Using Google Hangouts and Google Docs through your Los Rios Gmail, you can meet with a tutor in real time. Just like any appointment in the Writing Center, tutors can help at any stage of the writing process for any class at the West Sacramento Center or at Sacramento City College.
Click on the demo video below to watch how online tutoring works:
Online Tutoring Hours
Fall 2019: starting August 26th
|MONDAY||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|TUESDAY||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|WEDNESDAY||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|THURSDAY||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|FRIDAY||8:30 am – 4:00 pm|
|SATURDAY||8:30 am – 4:00 pm|
- For an appointment and/or questions, please call (916) 375-5514.
In order to access online tutoring, you will need:
- a webcam
- a microphone
- the Google Chrome web browser
Note: Most newer laptops have both built-in webcams and microphones, and most detachable webcams for desktop computers have built-in microphones. If you don’t have either of these devices, they can be purchased individually at major retailers for a relatively inexpensive price.
Making an Appointment
To make an appointment, call us at 916-375-5514 . Or, you may scroll down and complete the form at the bottom of this page.
We will need the following information when you make your appointment:
- What class are you getting tutoring in?
- Who is your instructor?
- What assignment are you working on?
- When is it due?
Preparing for Your Appointment
Upload Your Documents to Google Drive
- Click on the “Apps” button in the top right-hand corner of your Student email page (this looks like a small square grid). Select “Drive.”
- Click “NEW” to upload a new document from your computer’s files.
- Then, click “File upload,” and select the file you want to share with your tutor.
- Find and select your documents to upload them. You can upload Word files, PDF files, and/or JPEG files. Your document will be saved in Google Drive for as long as you want until you delete it.
Share Your Documents with a Tutor
- In your list of uploaded documents in “Drive,” right-click on the document you wish to share.
- Select “Open With.”
- Select “Google Docs.”
- When the document opens, click on the blue “Share” button at the top right-hand corner of the screen. A box will open that says “Share with others.”
- Under “People,” type in the tutor’s email address. You will receive this email address when your appointment is confirmed. Repeat this process for each document you’d like to share with the tutor.
The Day of the Appointment
- Log into your student Gmail account 5 minutes before your appointment in Google Chrome
- Open all documents you’ll want to go over with your tutor
- Your tutor will send you a video chat invitation
- Accept the invitation
- If this is your first time using video chat, Google will ask you to authorize use of your microphone and webcam.
- If you’re using a browser other than Google Chrome, you may need to install a plugin. Follow the directions on screen.
- Once you have authorized the use of the camera and microphone, the video chat will launch.
Online Tutoring Request Form
Please provide the following information, so that we have it when we call you to schedule your appointment.