California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request

  • This exemption allows a nonresident student to pay in-state tuition at the public higher institutions in California (community college, CSU, and UC).
  • To qualify for this exemption, the student needs to have attended a California high school for a minimum of three years.
  • Student must graduate or pass GED, Proficiency or high school equivalency prior to the start of the term.
  • Undocumented students who meet the three years of high school in California may apply for this exemption.
  • An undocumented student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
  • Students who are non-immigrants [those who hold F (student) visas, B (visitor) visas, etc.] are not eligible for this exemption.
  • Continuing students do not need to re-apply each semester. However, if they leave the district for more than a semester, and need to re-apply to the college, the student will need to re-apply for this Exemption.
  • When the student transfers, they must submit an Exemption Request to the university that they are transferring to.
  • A student who attended at least three years of high school in California, then moved out of state and lost residency status, may apply for this Exemption.
  • Advanced Education students do not qualify for this Exemption.
  • Students enrolled under AB 540 may qualify for the Dream Act.


  1. Students must first complete an online SCC application. They should mark ‘other’ for citizenship and visa status on the SCC application.
  2. Next, the student must go to Admissions and Records to have their SCC student I.D. number processed manually. They need to bring some form of photo I.D.
  3. The student must request the AB540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request while at Admissions and Records. Students need to bring high school transcripts showing the years attending high school and high school graduation date.
  4. Once completed, the student submits the exemption request application to the Admissions and Records Petition counter. The affidavit will be reviewed and processed in approximately 2-3 days. Once the form is processed, Admissions and Records will make the necessary adjustment.
  5. The final step is that the student can continue with the matriculation process in order to register for classes. Students should not pay fees until their AB 540 application has been processed and their fee status readjusted.