Students Transferring From Another College

Should you take an assessment test if you are transferring here from another college?

You do not need to take assessment tests if you:

  • Have already earned an AA or AS Degree or higher.
  • Can document competency in reading, writing and math through previous college courses.

You should take assessment tests if:

  • English or English as a Second Language (ESL) assessments were taken outside of the Los Rios Community College District and you have not completed coursework in these areas.
  • Math assessments were taken outside of the Los Rios Community College District.   (The Math Division accepts some math assessments from other colleges. Students with math test results from outside Los Rios should call the Math Division at (916) 558-2202 for more information.

For test schedule information, please see Testing Schedule in the menu bar above.

Students who have completed coursework in English, ESL and math outside of the Los Rios College District and require prerequisites please do the following:

  • For ESL courses evaluation, please contact the Language and Literature Department at (916)558-2325.
    • Please bring your unofficial transcript(s) for ESL courses to Rodda Hall South Room 226 (RHS226).
  • For English or math courses evaluation, please do the following:
    • Review the Approved English or Math External LRCCD Credit list at on the Admission and Records website.
    • If your English or math course is not on the External LRCCD list, bring a course description from the identified catalog at the college you attended, an official  transcript with proof of passing the course, AP scores if taken to the Admission and Records.  You will have to complete a Prerequisite Equivalency form (ENGCW, ENGWR, ENGED, MATH and STAT  at the Admission and Records.
    • If you have any questions regarding this process, please call the Admission and Records Office at (916)558-2351.

Students who have completed assessment testing should:

  • Call the Counseling Center at (916) 558-2204 to schedule an appointment.
  • Bring Los Rios test results to your counseling appointment.
  • Bring unofficial transcript from your previous college to your counseling appointment; courses completed at colleges outside Los Rios may satisfy prerequisites for English, math, and other courses and/or meet transfer requirements.
  • Mail your official, sealed transcript to the Admission and Records Office at the following address:

Sacramento City College Admission and Records Office

3835 Freeport Blvd. Student Services Building Room 103

Sacramento, CA 95822

With your transcript, you may be able to satisfy prerequisites for English, math and other courses and meet transfer requirements.