California Dream Act (AB540)

Financial aid is available to Dream Act students attending California community colleges and 4-year colleges.

The California Dream Act of 2011 is the result of two assembly bills, AB 130 and AB 131. Together, these bills allow undocumented and documented students who meet certain provisions of AB 540 law to apply for and receive state-administered financial aid and community college fee waivers.


California Dream Act students at Sacramento City College are eligible to apply for:

  • Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waivers
  • Assistance from EOPS and CARE
  • State financial aid such as Cal Grants, Full-time Student Success Grant (FTSSG) and Chafee Grants
  • Privately-funded scholarships

AB 540 Qualifying Criteria

You are a Dream Act student (AB 540 eligible) if you meet all of the following criteria:

  1. You must have attended a CA high school for at least 3 years.
  2. You must have graduated or attained the equivalent (usually passing the GED or CA HS Proficiency exam.
  3. If you are considered an undocumented resident, you must have filed for legal immigration status or will file as soon as possible. It is a legal requirement that you file an affidavit with SCC Admissions and Records Office.

Please see the college Admissions Office to file a “CA Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request” to determine if you are AB 540 eligible. Your name with Admissions and Records must match the California Dream Act Application.

Are all AB540 students undocumented immigrants?

No. Citizens and permanent residents who would otherwise be classified as residents of other states who meet AB540 criteria can qualify as California residents for tuition purposes and any financial aid benefits.


I am considered undocumented and meet the AB540 criteria under the California Dream Act. What financial aid programs can I apply for?

You can qualify for a California College Promise Grant (formerly Board of Governors or BOG Fee Waiver) that will pay for your enrollment fees. There are two ways to apply:

  1. Complete the California Dream Act Application which is available now online at the CA Dream Act web site. SCC will download the information electronically and send you an e-mail with instructions on the next step in the process.


  1. Complete the California College Promise Grant Application

Beginning with the 2013-14 school year, undocumented students became eligible for State financial aid and may also qualify for a Cal Grant.

Applying for a Cal Grant takes two forms:

  1. California Dream Act Application and
  2. Cal Grant Grade Point Average Verification Form

Both forms must be submitted by the March 2nd deadline to be considered for a Cal grant. Refer to the second page of the Cal Grant GPA verification form for detailed information or check with the Financial Aid Office if you have questions about the GPA verification process.


I am a US Citizen or permanent resident and meet the AB 540 criteria. What types of aid can I apply for?