- Department Catalog
Application is open beginning in the fall semester until
April 15, 2020 for Fall 2020 enrollment
Physical therapist assistants (PTAs) are licensed health care providers who provide physical therapy services under the supervision of a physical therapist.
The A.S. degree Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Sacramento City College is designed to graduate physical therapist assistants (‘PTAs’) who will work under the supervision of physical therapists in a wide variety of healthcare settings, including:
- rehabilitation centers
- private practices
- skilled nursing and extended care facilities
- home health care agencies
Physical therapist assistants treat patients with movement, strength, and coordination disorders in order to improve function, decrease pain, and increase independence. The scope of practice may include:
- administration of physical modalities
- therapeutic exercise
- ambulation training
- assisting/instructing patients with transfers and functional activities
Physical therapist assistants:
- must recognize common medical disorders
- must be able to assess whether patients are progressing appropriately with the treatment plan determined by the supervising physical therapist
- work closely with other allied health team members
- are currently in demand in the health care system and physical therapist assistant is listed as one of the 10 fastest growing occupations by the U.S. Dept. of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Program Fast Facts
- The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Sacramento City College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). Please click the link for Accreditation Information.
- The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Sacramento City College is a part-time evening program.
- After completing prerequisite courses, students apply to the program.
- Once enrolled the program requires two academic years to complete, including the summer session.
- Academic classes are typically on Monday-Thursday evenings and are held on the Sacramento City College campus.
- The clinical education courses do require daytime attendance and are located at off-campus facilities.
- The program admits 28-30 students for enrollment each year.
- Please click the link for Program Statistics & Outcomes.
For eligibility and application information, please view How to Apply.
For Further Information:
Physical Therapist Assistant / Occupational Therapist Assistant Office
Temporary Building 8.2
Alicia Doxon, Clerk III